Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Normal Wood in a fishtank

In my school, I found some pretty cool looking branches that fell of a tree and I was thinking if I could use those woods in my tank and tie my egeria najas there. If I can't, is there any ways I can use it like boil it or soak it in water for several days?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bubble00 View Post
In my school, I found some pretty cool looking branches that fell of a tree and I was thinking if I could use those woods in my tank and tie my egeria najas there. If I can't, is there any ways I can use it like boil it or soak it in water for several days?
I would be careful doing that. You don't want to put just any wood you find in your tank. Driftwood or bogwood only, and even then if you find it in the wild I would try to find out what type of wood it is and boil it and use a small amount of bleach in the water you're using to boil.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Depends on the type of tree mostly. If the tree is pine or cedar or similar, then I would avoid using it.
Typically driftwood has been weathered by the elements and is usually dried out. There is a chance that the wood you collected could get soft, break down and rot if it is not properly aged. I could be wrong.
Aside from boiling DW, Iíve heard of baking it in the oven as a method of prepping it for the tank. Just donít burn your house down.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi I have used wood from me local woods a few times,but and its a big but! You really need to know the type of tree it came from. I know silver birch and oak is safe. Also before using give it a good squeeze, if its 'soft' throw it away! My wood got covered in a horrible white slime, but my B/Ns loved it yuk!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrays4 View Post
Hi I have used wood from me local woods a few times,but and its a big but! You really need to know the type of tree it came from. I know silver birch and oak is safe. Also before using give it a good squeeze, if its 'soft' throw it away! My wood got covered in a horrible white slime, but my B/Ns loved it yuk!
Alright, in my sister's betta tank the white slimy thing is starting to appear on the wood that I found (boiled it already) how to remove them and is it harmful to plants and her betta?
Old 10-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Alright, in my sister's betta tank the white slimy thing is starting to appear on the wood that I found (boiled it already) how to remove them and is it harmful to plants and her betta?

White fuzz is normal for new driftwood, it will die out by itself or you can remove it by hand. I normally let my SAEís clean it off, they LOVE it!

Itís 100% harmless and nothing to worry about
Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
White fuzz is normal for new driftwood, it will die out by itself or you can remove it by hand. I normally let my SAEís clean it off, they LOVE it!

Itís 100% harmless and nothing to worry about
Will it kill plants? And what are SAE's?
Old 10-28-2017, 01:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Will it kill plants? And what are SAE's?

Nope has no effect on anything Siamese algae eaters they are awesome for algae and that fuzzy stuff
Old 10-28-2017, 02:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2oo1 View Post
Nope has no effect on anything Siamese algae eaters they are awesome for algae and that fuzzy stuff
Will shrimps eat them? If so, sometimes I found some bugs bigger than my betta's mouth and he didn't disturb them or eat. Does this mean that he is shrimp safe? 😀
Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Will shrimps eat them? If so, sometimes I found some bugs bigger than my betta's mouth and he didn't disturb them or eat. Does this mean that he is shrimp safe?

Shrimp love eating that kind of stuff I donít know how youíd go but u can always try some Bettas are more placid than others

Tags
fish, tan, tank, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com