Not Brooks' gbr tank..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That bylxa look like they need a trim....... ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nope, I almost got a video of him attacking the tongs, went into the kitchen and came back to him spitting a massive bunch. . I do this for them and this is the thanks I get...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks great. My Rams are a lot more passive they know the rules not to touch my plants!

That bylxa look like they need a trim....... ?

It does, you can see the side shoots at the bottom. Way to cold this week. I'm watching the weather though..

Looks good man. Hope you have great success with it.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thanks, I'm staying optimistic..
Looks great. My Rams are a lot more passive they know the rules not to touch my plants!

It's like he knows he's the fav. And as long as he stays alive he can do whatever he wants.. that would imply he has emotions though:sly:

Little update.. dhg isn't dead yet woooo.. just fed some omega one flake.

Attachments

• 1420852585279.jpg
    1420852585279.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 1420852594932.jpg
    1420852594932.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 1420852604891.jpg
    1420852604891.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 78
Sick lookin tank Brookster! Love how lush all the plants are!

Wow. Thanks all! It is nice to finally have something decent to look at in the room.. we all know how much goes into these boxes, sometimes a little luck is all it takes.. yah. Luck.. because I def. Still throw 3 darts at a time and get all excited if one hits the board and sticks;)

Brookster a little warning with the blyxa wall. Although blyxa is a stem plant I don't think it propagates in the same way as most. If you cut the stem I think that's pretty much it for it. It propagates through cutting the side shoots. So left untamed blyxa will get pretty high and as you got it in the foreground like me, this is to be avoided. So to control growth my understanding is that it needs to be pulled, cut and replanted. This is a nightmare when they are close!! I've just reshaped all my blyxa groupings and it's been one of my least favourite experiences in planted tanks. The root systems are astonishing! I'm talking 12" roots on a plant 6" high. The roots all tangle and inter web and by pulling it disturbs a LOT of substrate.

Having said this, what a pretty little plant when it starts to colour :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421250758.468736.jpg

Please excuse the GSA! I'm still finding the sweet spot

Happy planting my friend

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Brookster a little warning with the blyxa wall. Although blyxa is a stem plant I don't think it propagates in the same way as most. If you cut the stem I think that's pretty much it for it. It propagates through cutting the side shoots. So left untamed blyxa will get pretty high and as you got it in the foreground like me, this is to be avoided. So to control growth my understanding is that it needs to be pulled, cut and replanted. This is a nightmare when they are close!! I've just reshaped all my blyxa groupings and it's been one of my least favourite experiences in planted tanks. The root systems are astonishing! I'm talking 12" roots on a plant 6" high. The roots all tangle and inter web and by pulling it disturbs a LOT of substrate.

Having said this, what a pretty little plant when it starts to colour :)

View attachment 261048

Please excuse the GSA! I'm still finding the sweet spot

Happy planting my friend

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's definitely due for a thinning up, I'd really like to avoid uprooting if possible, I can see the side shoots coming from the bottom. Hopefully I can pinch then off.. it's stayed about the same hieght for some time, just growing out quite a bit. Thanks for the heads up man! I'll post feedback on the process.

Nice insight Sk3lly. I planted the stems from Dr Nano too close to the front and it looks out of place in my tank. It was getting quite thick as well. I was able to pinch off a stem from the side of the patch that had its own set of roots and was a complete plant. Moved that to the back. Maybe I will start moving the plants closer to the front towards the back of the tank. A lot less messier that pulling up the entire patch.

Nice insight Sk3lly. I planted the stems from Dr Nano too close to the front and it looks out of place in my tank. It was getting quite thick as well. I was able to pinch off a stem from the side of the patch that had its own set of roots and was a complete plant. Moved that to the back. Maybe I will start moving the plants closer to the front towards the back of the tank. A lot less messier that pulling up the entire patch.

So it pinched off pretty easily? Whenever I uproot stuff it freaks the whole tank out for a little while.. i don't want to stress the rams.. ever..
Dhg still isn't dead:D I loaded the substrate with some of the clay tabs supplied from peabodys paradise in hopes if retaining nutrients between osmocote tab infusion..

Attachments

• 1421256661368.jpg
    1421256661368.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 61
Yep. The crown was above the substrate and it only had roots buried.
That patch have there looks pretty thick. I foresee chocolate water in your tank very soon. I have very few fish in the tank (for now) to disturb.

Back
Top Bottom