Not cleaning your substrate...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
If you have lots of plants and it's covering more than 90% of your tank, can you get away with not cleaning your substrate? I still clean the parts with no plants but I'm having a hard time cleaning the parts with plants. I'm just worried that if I don't clean the substrate that the fish waste and uneaten food will have a bad effect on fish and my parameters. Thanks in advance.

Funny ... I was just thinking the same thing the other day while I was vacuuming.
I'm curious to see the responses ... In my tank it's not a big problem yet ... but as I add more and more plants in the months to come .....

rich311k said:
I never clean substrate in my heavily planted tanks. I room anything visible but that is about it.

Without any problems? Ammonia spike or anything?

I just bought a small gravel vac for a 1-5 gallon tank. The head of the vac is small enough to get between the plants and I dont mind filling one bucket during my pwc. I still finish and fill with the python though.

But you guys have substrates for plants. I have gravel in my tank. Bigger than a dime but smaller than a quarter size. Or it doesn't matter?

I use it in my planted gravel tanks too. Especially my tanks that don't have plecos or shrimp in them. I don't want anything laying around in there too long. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

rich311k said:
No problems, many of the fish are 5 years old. Think of it as plant food.

I will think of it as plant food then. Thank you.

Thanks everyone :)

mfdrookie516 said:
ammonia + plants = no ammonia

I see it as a natural fertilizer ;)

Got it. If I understand it right, before it leeches out in to water column the plants will absorb it first. Or with the amount of plants, I won't even detect any ammonia. Am I Right?

I my tank, there is no bare substrate... it is all covered with plants. So... no vacuuming.

Fdsh5 said:
I just bought a small gravel vac for a 1-5 gallon tank. The head of the vac is small enough to get between the plants and I dont mind filling one bucket during my pwc. I still finish and fill with the python though.

I use the same thing. I only use my python to drain and fill up my tank. I use a gravel vacuum to clean the substrate. I don't really want to clean around any plant because I don't want to mess up the roots. I also have new plants that needs to establish their roots. Just planted them a few days ago.

fort384 said:
I my tank, there is no bare substrate... it is all covered with plants. So... no vacuuming.

Is it a different case if you have a fully stocked or overstocked tank? Discus produce a lot of waste and big chunks too.

I vac what little gravel that is not covered in plants. Areas that have low ground cover, I just hold the vac slight above the plants and that works well enough to get any loose debris. Areas that are under full plant cover don't get vac'd at all.

Back
Top Bottom