Not off to a GREAT start !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fedex3d

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started my 125g planted tank yesterday. Started with 1 1/2 inch layer of organic soil and waterlogged it too much. Then tried to be cheap and cap it with only 60 lbs of eco complete. Didn't realize how much water was in the eco complete bag. So when l poured it on top, it mixed more than capped. Now it looks like the Mighty Mississippi River. Gonna give it a few days to settle, then cap with black sand.
On a positive note though, l cut up the dead dogwood that's been behind the house for a few years. After peeling bark, peeling the skin off of the roots, and boiling it for a couple of hours; it's going to make about 4 or 5 pieces of beautiful driftwood !!! Still needs to soak for a few weeks. My wife wants to know if we're ever gonna be able to see fish in the aquarium? And when am I going to get the tree out of the bath tub in the guest bathroom? Lol

Maybe for you but probably not your better half when she has to relocate her stuff to make room for more tanks ^^

Yea this makes 3 freshwaters & l would like to try a saltwater one of these days

Tell her the hose is out back, lol. I think ur substrate will turn out ok. Ur putting good stuff in and that's good for the plants :)

mohican said:
Tell her the hose is out back, lol. I think ur substrate will turn out ok. Ur putting good stuff in and that's good for the plants :)

Yea just need to give it a little time to settle and put a good topcoat of sand. The plants ought to have a good base for their root system with organic soil, eco, then sand!

Drained the water to just above the ops and eco complete. It has settled really nicely. Put down a layer of sand on top in the next few days, and should be ready to plant heavily. Should have plenty of base for the roots now.

The substrate has settled nicely & drained the water for tannins again. And the driftwood is beginning to sink.

ForumRunner_20120906_163609.jpg

ForumRunner_20120906_163624.jpg

ForumRunner_20120906_163644.jpg

ForumRunner_20120906_163703.jpg

Back
Top Bottom