Not so planted "Planted Tank"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xstream

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I bought a bunch of anacharis yesterday, and I am loving the look of the real plants in our ten gallon princess tank. I am just in the middle of my nitrogen cycle and have no intention of turning this into a planted tank, but I would like to add a couple more beginner aquatic plants (you know, the kind not requiring fertilizer or anything more than my gravel).

Any suggestions? Petsmart recommended sword plants.

With swords, they are heavy root feeders, you will need to add some root tabs in your substrate near the plant. It doesn't require daily dosing or anything like that. Just some light and a root tab or two every so often.

You could look into java fern and some mosses. They are low light and require no maintenance.

Root tabs? I will look into those. Would they be beneficial for the anacharis as well? I see online API sells some, and recommendations?

Beginner Plants

So I bought a bunch of anacharis yesterday, and I am loving the look of the real plants in our ten gallon princess tank. I am just in the middle of my nitrogen cycle and have no intention of turning this into a planted tank, but I would like to add a couple more beginner aquatic plants (you know, the kind not requiring fertilizer or anything more than my gravel).

Any suggestions? Petsmart recommended sword plants.

Hello x...

Any of the Anubias species like Nana or Nangi are easy. These don't need to be planted. You can just attach the plant to a piece of lava rock with a rubber band and drop the plant into the tank. The roots grow into the lava rock and eventually into the substrate.

Attached is a pic of the shorter Anubias Nana and the taller Nangi.

B

Attachments

• WP_20130323_018.jpg
    WP_20130323_018.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 155
  • WP_20130405_001.jpg
    WP_20130405_001.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 158
I bought the Anubias Nana yesterday, and I am loving the new plant. I have removed most of the artificial plants, and separated my Anacharis into three bunches.

I have been selling the vision of my larger planted tank to my wife... One day.

Going w/ a Larger Tank

I bought the Anubias Nana yesterday, and I am loving the new plant. I have removed mist if the artificial plants, and separated my Anacharis into three bunches.

I have been selling the vision of my larger planted tank to my wife... One day.

Hello again x...

Larger tanks are much easier to manage. There so much more water in them to cover you if a mistake is made. Attached is a pic of my planted 55 G. Nothing special, just large weekly water changes.

B

Attachments

• WP_20130406_001.jpg
    WP_20130406_001.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 142
B, cool tank. Thanks for the reply.

So you are not using root tabs or anything? The box store worker didn't recommend them (I know, right!?) unless my Anubias looks like it struggles.

There is a little bit of brown that has formed around the base. I do not have it under the gravel. Only the roots.

Ok, I have searched and searched online, but I can not find an answer.

My Anacharis is changing color and my new Anubias Nana is starting to turn brown at the rhizome. I was going to try plant food, but I am thinking it is my lighting. My tank is in an area that natural sunlight does not reach. When I went to buy the plants (first the anacharis for its help in keeping nitrite in check) I asked if my LED hood that came with my starter kit would be enough light, and the salesperson assured me the LEDs would be perfect...

As I said, I have googled, and Bing'd and searched this forum to see if I could find anything to help. I know both plants are supposed to be pretty hardy, but if these lights (there are six of them) are not enough light I don't know what to do at the moment...

I continued my search and found the possible wattage per LED to be around .3 per light. For a grand total of less than two watts total output...

Guess I am joining the planted bowls group with my Anubias Nana!

Back
Top Bottom