Not sure of what to stock in my planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ziezie94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I'm very new to the hobby and am planning on setting up a 20 gallon planted tank. I've always admired beautiful scaped planted tanks and wanted to try one myself. I do need some advice on what to stock inside my tank. Both plants and fishes. Only plants I've thought of so far are java moss and java fern. For the fishes I actually am planning on stocking with guppies as the main stock. I would love on some suggestions for what else I can stock up in my tank. Thanks !

If it's gonna be heavily planted I'd stock around 12 guppies max. Are you interested in putting any other fish in that catch your eye or maybe a center piece fish with guppies? Bottom dwellers with guppies? A smaller group of guppies with a center piece fish and some bottom dwellers? Several options for you.

If it's gonna be heavily planted I'd stock around 12 guppies max. Are you interested in putting any other fish in that catch your eye or maybe a center piece fish with guppies? Bottom dwellers with guppies? A smaller group of guppies with a center piece fish and some bottom dwellers? Several options for you.
I actually do intend on some bottom dwellers and maybe one center piece fish that get along well with the guppies. I've read that there are some who add a betta fish to their guppy tanks but those comes with risks of their own right ? And would adding shrimps like cherry reds be a good idea?
For the guppies I initially thought about maybe 2 groups of 1Male to 2 females? Would that be ok?

I'd avoid bettas. IMO their environment differs enough from most tropical fish that it doesn't end well. I don't know my shrimp well enough but I'd assume they are ok depending on your bottom dwellers. You could go that ratio on guppies or all male. The male fancy guppies are a prettier fish in my opinion. A honey gourami would be a good center piece fish and isn't to big for your tank. 6 pygmy Cory's for bottom dwellers.

Also, for your filtration I would run an aquaclear 50 or equivalent. You will need 2-3x the filtration. At least a 40g filter.

Also, for your filtration I would run an aquaclear 50 or equivalent. You will need 2-3x the filtration. At least a 40g filter.
That's another question I had in mind to ask. Things like the type of filter I should use, what type of substrate do I need and such. I've read that there are some plants that do not require any aqua soil thrive and would prefer to stock my tank with these plants. Also should I provide co2 for the tank as well?

I'd avoid bettas. IMO their environment differs enough from most tropical fish that it doesn't end well. I don't know my shrimp well enough but I'd assume they are ok depending on your bottom dwellers. You could go that ratio on guppies or all male. The male fancy guppies are a prettier fish in my opinion. A honey gourami would be a good center piece fish and isn't to big for your tank. 6 pygmy Cory's for bottom dwellers.
Oooo these are nice suggestions. My LFS usually do carry honey gouramis and pygmy Cory.

To be honest I'm not a big plant guy. I have a few plants and live moss balls I put in my tanks with gravel but nothing like a "planted tank." There are guys on here who are very knowledgeable in this area and about Co2.

I'd to an HOB (hang on back) filter for your tank. Personally I'd run the aquaclear 50 for your tank. Great filter and you will get the filtration, water movement and water quality you are looking for.

First and foremost you will need to cycle your tank before adding fish or plants although, some say adding plants right away during a cycle is ok.

First and foremost you will need to cycle your tank before adding fish or plants although, some say adding plants right away during a cycle is ok.
Most of the tutorial videos I see on YouTube and articles I found online seem to say that its fine to add the plants right away.

And you could very well do that. I personally don't see a problem with that and haven't experienced problems with it.

I have a 20Long. I am using Pool filter sand (PFS) with root tabs as a substrate. I have Bronze Crypts in the back. They will grow tall enough to cover the back. Some dwarf sag in front of that. Also 3 different types of Java Fern tied to rocks or wood on the left to obscure hardware. IMG_1519393273.722418.jpg

I have one bristlenose pleco and 20 Neons in the tank, 2 Amanos and some ramshorn and Mystery Snails.

Last edited:
I have a 20Long. I am using Pool filter sand (PFS) with root tabs as a substrate. I have Bronze Crypts in the back. They will grow tall enough to cover the back. Some dwarf sag in front of that. Also 3 different types of Java Fern tied to rocks or wood on the left to obscure hardware. View attachment 307332

I have one bristlenose pleco and 20 Neons in the tank, 2 Amanos and some ramshorn and Mystery Snails.
Nice tank T ?

Nice tank T [emoji106]

Thanks! I bought 20 Neons during the $1 a fish sale and low and behold they all lived.

Male guppies can be real jerks to each other sometimes. I had some for a while and rehomed the lot of them. Always posturing and nipping.

I like tranquility.

I had a group of guppies awhile back and one out of the group would harass the hell out of my mollies. When I lost the mollies he harassed the hell out of the rest of the guppies. No fin nipping but would swim underneath them and put his face on their bellies. Strange.

Back
Top Bottom