Note on H202 for BBA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

secuono

Aquarium Advice Activist
If you're going to use H202, please dip the plants/deco separately or remove the fish during entire treatment of the tank.

I've lost my 9in pleco I have had for almost 1.5yrs because of this.

I have a large mix of different plants, from Swords, Crypts, Vals, Sag, floaters, Rolitia, Subwassertang, Red Melon and several others[sp?]. None had any ill effects, though my Anarchis is out in the pond and I have no Hornwort to test out on it. But both grow so fast it really shouldn't grow on them, or you can just trim them if it does and skip the risk. None of my plants have been affected in any way.

I also have several fish, none of which, other than my large P. J. pleco, had shown any ill effect. They are; Platy, Swordtail, tiny fry, Gourami, Rainbow shark, BN pleco, Clown pleco, Dojo loach, pond/bladder snails, MTS, CEA[added him yesterday, only experienced a few hrs of full H202 dose b4 W/C], Green cory, Oto cats, Dragon fish, Goldfish and Koi.

I had a tank w/2 gals of water and 60mL of H202 mixed in. Added my Crypts[the ones w/the most BBA on them] for several hours w/occasional stirring. Within, say, 3hrs, the BBA was a medium purple in color. I've opted to re-soak it w/the wood in my tank. I noticed I did not stir well enough and some BBA was not changing color. Before I go to bed I will remove the plants and let them float in their tank until tomorrow after work[then I will have time to plant and all.]

So, my point is, do no risk your fish, do not risk your more sensitive plants[if you aren't sure, test a small plantlet or short stem]. I'm not saying to trim heavily, just uproot and soak them! Far easier and my Crypts have not shown any sign of issues with it. [I will post an update on the BBA and the plants.]

No light in the tub for dipping. Filters stayed on in my tanks, lights were off most of the time. If you directly add the H202 to the BBA in tank w/fish, it should be ok. Unless you go over 2mL per gallon total amount.

Good luck and I'll see you guys tomorrow!

I am not sure I would attribute the loss of your pleco to using H2O2 in your tank. H2O2 disassociates very quickly into water and oxygen when added to your tank. That's why you have to spot treat with it directly on the affected area using a medicine dropper or syringe for it to be effective.

I've read several other threads and sites where they lost fish due to H202, so I know it is possible. And he was perfectly healthy before I started. So...it killed him. I'm not going to argue about that.

No need to argue about the science and chemistry in adding a 2% H2O2 to water, and what happens. Adding it to water is essentially adding water to water, unless you spot treated right next to where the fish was. The fact is, I and dozens of others here have used it many, many times, with no ill effects. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and theories, of course.

I'm going to agree with fort here, sorry. I've spot treated with H202 before and have had fish swim right up to the dropper before. Never lost a fish before using this method.

h202 = h20 + 0... unless you directly put the h202 in the fishes gills (even then, it would be arguable), it didn't kill it. People often use h2o2 dips to treat certain diseases, minus the gills. But I agree, adding it to a water change does nothing... you gotta turn off the flow and spot treat with a syringe, baby med dropper, even a piece of air line tubing.

Back
Top Bottom