Nothing but plants (almost)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I decided today that I wanted to plant a tank, with just plants in it. I purchased a 20 gallon tank, some grass, and a bamboo shoot. I would like to do a low-light tank. Does low-light mean that a hood light is not necessary? What are some other low-light plants I could use, that are easy to care for? I will have a co2 injector in there soon. I'd really just like to have a tank without filtration or light worries, but maybe that isn't possible. Also, does anyone know anything about bamboo? I picked it up from Petsmart tonight. Some were curled, mine isn't. The gal there said something about "training" the bamboo to curl. Any input would be great.

lpn4 said:
So, I decided today that I wanted to plant a tank, with just plants in it. I purchased a 20 gallon tank, some grass, and a bamboo shoot. I would like to do a low-light tank. Does low-light mean that a hood light is not necessary? What are some other low-light plants I could use, that are easy to care for? I will have a co2 injector in there soon. I'd really just like to have a tank without filtration or light worries, but maybe that isn't possible. Also, does anyone know anything about bamboo? I picked it up from Petsmart tonight. Some were curled, mine isn't. The gal there said something about "training" the bamboo to curl. Any input would be great.

I think you'll find the bamboo isn't an aquatic plant and most grasses need med/high light. There will be no point adding co2 without adequate lighting. What light do you have now? Some low light plants are mosses, java fern, hornwort and some swords.

I only have ambient light. If I need to, I'll purchase a cover and lighting for my tank, but I wanted to know if I could get away without it. Good call on the light vs. co2. I had not thought of that.

Bamboo does ok in water if the leaves aren't submerged. I imagine you could "train" bamboo simply by wrapping it around something as it grows. I have a feeling the grass you bought is mondo grass and isn't aquatic.

You don't need a hood, but even a low-light tank needs about 1Wpg of fluorescent light for 8-10 hours a day. +1 for not needing the CO2 either. It won't hurt, but I don't think it'll help any without better lighting.

I bit the bullet and purchased a light today. Plus I am going to try soil in the tank, with black gravel over.

I'll tell you one thing, bamboo has to be a nearly indestructible plant. I had 2 in my 75 gal whose leaves were nearly completely covered in Brown Algae, plus my tank is less than 1WPG of light, and they still grew a bit .. never lost a single leaf. I have an unstocked 1gal mini tank with one bamboo without any ferts whatsoever, just water (that went unchanged for months), ambient light and atmospheric CO2 and that managed to grow a bit. Now all three are in my son's new 10gal tetra tank.

IMO an underrated aquarium plant ... can be completely submerged, or leaves out of the water, it doesn't matter bamboo just survives. Looking to buy a couple more (from petsmart / petco) for my son's tank.

lpn4 said:
I bit the bullet and purchased a light today. Plus I am going to try soil in the tank, with black gravel over.

If you use the soil just make sure your gravel is small. If you use bigger gravel some of the soil particles can escape making your tank cloudy.

My ambient light is a window 2 feet away, plus, this tank is right beside my 10 gallon high-light tank. However, like I said before, I bit the bullet and bought a light fixture for the tank. I might have went a bit off the deep end when purchasing my light. I found a 75 watt light fixture. My bf thinks this is too much for a 20 gallon planted tank. Any thoughts? Is this even considered high light? Or medium light? Or just waaaay too much? I have not installed it yet, because I want the option of return, if necessary. n

A 75W fluorescent light is fine if you're prepared with a pressurized CO2 system and a fert regimen. Otherwise you'll just end up with a block of green water.

Back
Top Bottom