Nursing plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I thought of this interesting idea, to try to save some of my plants (I realized they weren't so hot in my new tank) before I transfer them to my smaller tank. Idk if this is like common knowledge but... Would this work? I am planning on putting them in a glass container with some dirt in it. I will fill it with tank water, and put it out in the sun. Would this promote growth so I can put healthy plants in my 10g, or will this just be a futile waste of time?

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Dirt can tend to make water parameters unstable and needs to be cycled. Only some hardy plants can survive the entire process. Do you have some sand? Dh likes substrate that is small grained so that it can spread easily.

Dirt can tend to make water parameters unstable and needs to be cycled. Only some hardy plants can survive the entire process. Do you have some sand? Dh likes substrate that is small grained so that it can spread easily.

I do have some sand, that's what they're currently in.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

That's true but a dry start may put the plants into shock and just take them longer to adjust and then grow.

In my big tank I have maybe .5 wpg. Small tank I have 1.5-2

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

They will do better in the small tank then. Dh needs high light but does not need co2. It will grow better with co2 but doesn't necessarily need it. As long as it's other needs are met.

Isn't High Light over 3 or 4 watts per gallon ?

Not that watts per gallon is a very good way to measure light. PAR is more accurate if you know it.

Try it in the small tank, but understand it still may die or at least not thrive. If you read up on DHG it recommends separating it and planting just a few leaves at a time to help it carpet.

And CO2 IS needed in High Light tanks or you'll just grow Algae. In low-med light you can try without yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't High Light over 3 or 4 watts per gallon ?

Not that watts per gallon is a very good way to measure light. PAR is more accurate if you know it.

Try it in the small tank, but understand it still may die or at least not thrive. If you read up on DHG it recommends separating it and planting just a few leaves at a time to help it carpet.

And CO2 IS needed in High Light tanks or you'll just grow Algae. In low-med light you can try without yes.

It's a medium light tank. No co2, but I have planted it in clumps.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Ive got a very nice DHG carpet. My tank is prob top end of medium light and i do use co2. My understanding is that it does really need high light. With high light comes the need for co2 and ferts. Watts per gallon is dated. Find out the PAR values on your light. You need high par levels at substrate for DHG to grow well

I wish you luck with it. DHG grows for some people without High Light, but not as a carpet.

Meh, that's OK! I'm planning on using a layer of java moss on some plastic canvas as my carpet. Easy to remove and trim! ;)

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Back
Top Bottom