Nutrafin natural co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I thought I saw a video, which I cannot refind that said a check valve should be used somewhere. The directions don't show a check valve.

There is a tank mounted canister containing yeast mix, then tubing going to plastic zigzag bubble counter.

Also, where is best to place zigzag bubble counter? Top, mid, bottom?

PetSolutions: Plant Gro CO2 System - YouTube

A check valve is good to have to prevent water from siphoning out of your tank and flooding something. I have had it happen before when I didn't think one was necessary. The bubble ladder works best when it's placed at the bottom of the tank so that the bubbles of co2 are underwater for the most time possible, even if they leave the bubble ladder (after they get to the top).

Here's a pic (This isn't my pic, I just found this to show where to put the bubble ladder) :

img_2929847_0_4d9d36a3c5fcf05282cab77b7bb63319.jpg

Thank you for answering! I put mine at the bottom now and I'll move sides every 2 days. I really appreciate your help!!!

Thank you for answering! I put mine at the bottom now and I'll move sides every 2 days. I really appreciate your help!!!

No need to move sides- the floor of the water distributes the co2 enough.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got the same system and run the CO2 line directly into my filter. This distributes the gas more evenly throughout the tank. It's also more attractive than the eyesore of the bubble ladder.

Anecdotally, the results are about the same as with the ladder.

Thanks Maxwellag and krlw! I'm glad I don't have to keep moving it. Krlw, are you using a canister? I'm using an internal fluval U4. What you are doing sounds like a really good idea, but I can't figure out how I could do it with a U4. I will keep it in mind if I ever get a canister.

Edited: Unless, are you saying ram the tube into the side slots where the U4 sucks the water in?

I have an AquaClear filter and run the line through a hole in the lid and then again through a hole in the impeller plate. These holes were already present in the filter. I did not modify it in anyway.

The gas flows into the media bay and is trapped underneath the sponge, which holds the gas in contact with the water.

Thank you so much for helping me!!!

Any chance u could post some pics for me? I got an aqua clear sponge, too, but I'm confused. Even a pic of a hand drawn diagram would help me. I'm sorry I'm so slow... I lost you when you got to the 2nd hole.

I followed the instructions on this site.

Instead of using a chopstick or an air stone as a diffuser, I stuffed the end of the gas line with cotton.

Thanks, krlw. I see what you are talking about now. The Fluval U4 doesn't have any of those holes. But, the info is good to have! Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom