Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2004, 01:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nutrient ratio

Hey Everyone!
I was wondering if anyone knew the optimum ratio of nitrate/ phosphate/ iron/ potassium to promote optimum growth/ minimal algae?

I know the parameters
nitrate 5-10ppm
phosphate .5-1.0ppm
iron .1-.3ppm
potassium 10-20ppm

Just wondering if there was an ideal ratio.

Thanks!
Nystina

Nystina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have read online in the Krib and heard from reliable sources that iron is hard to accurately measure. I have also read and found it to work that when the plants seem a bit "yellow", just add some (Seachem) iron, and perhaps more if they don't green up. Regards a dosing regime, I would follow Rex Grigg's method listed in his FAQ as it works fine for me. I'm not sure what you mean by ratios. If you add the doses to the ppm suggested they will get you to where the tank needs to be.

My fish take care of the nitrates (and almost always the phosphates as well from fish food I believe). Be very careful with over dosing phosphates or big time algae issues can erupt as perhaps you already know. Also, I just add the potassium sulphate at water changes along with epsom salts (for my very soft water to raise the GH) and occasionally iron. Also I dose some micro nutrients. I use plantex csm +B, but one can use flourish as well, though it seems to bring on algae faster. Of late I barely ever fertilize and haven't scraped algae off my tank in months.

The water changes pull out the excess nitrates etc. and allow the ferts to calibrate to an optimal place at least once a week or so, depending on your water change regimen. I think this is a method that Chuck Gadd advocates. HTH

Old 11-24-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nystina, what you listed is pretty accurate, although I'd say you can get up to 15ppm nitrate.

What betowess said about measuring iron is true. Iron is just a trace fert. Typically, if you add any amount of iron on any regular basis, your plants won't have a deficiency.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, i was just wondering if you had say, nitrate at 10ppm(or what ever the upper threshold may be). Would you want the others at the upper threshold as well? for example:
phosphate 1.0ppm
iron .3ppm
potassium 20ppm

I guess it was more of an optimum ratio, i read something about it once, but i couldn't find it again. I suppose it would be real hard to accurately dose to those measurements anyway.

Thanks for your help!
Nystina
Nystina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

since you can't measure iron, leave it out of the equation.

Shoot for a 1:10 ratio of phosphate:nitrate and you shouldn't get into trouble.
Some say 1:15 or 1:23.

Potassium should be in the 10-20ppm range. From my research its ratio isn't as important as simply HAVING enough.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com