oh snaps!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDevil

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well here it is for now, please give pointers as I went about the planting blindly,as in grouped things but not in any order except by size of the plant now.

This is what it looked like oh about 4 hours ago

this is what it looks like now.

I did a vacuum before to get most the poop up and it gets cloudy, itll clear up but wanted to post something for visual.

that fake stump is the kuhli hut, and the java moss will completely cover it. I dont like the way it looks plain but I think with the moss planted on 3 different parts of it, that I will end up with a moss covered stump, I am thinking about removing some of the "roots"

Looks good. Make sure u don't put the rhizome of the java ferns under the substrate.

I dug up the fern jsut now and set it on top of the sand. should I tie it to a small rock right there or let it sit there ontop of the sand? Im sure itll be fine till tomorrow the way it is, ill take a better pic either early AM or when I get home around 3 central time when the tank is clear and itll help me understand what im looking at if someone could just point out the obvious to me.

I got no clue what a rhizome is, it looks like the roots are the rhizome?

Ok sweet, the java moss ad ferns are the only ones that need this right?

Ill post new pics tonight, water is settled has a nice tinge of brown to it from the mopati chunk, plants all perked up today and some have looked to have started to point their leaves towards the light. The fish LOVE it. Darn petco for giving me snails and a bad outlook on aquarium plants, thenamelesspoet and fort thank you for your time and knowledge on this, and Fort for the plants.

cant really see it but the Mopani is staining the water just a wee bit but I did presoak it with frequent water changes for 3 days prior to putting it in.

I will only get rid of the junk stump if ya donate a chunk of wood to me tank..... That or I find a nice big ol chunk of earth to throw in there.

Also think I can speed up the driftwood DIY by tying a brick to the wood and boiling it then soaking it for a month? I plan on using a chunk of dead tree thats been dead for years but its not in contact with anything but air.

Ok, is this right and what are they?

Different plant

are there common names? how do you guys remember those big names?

I checked with all glass and my bulb is 8500K, or should I go to 10K?

yes. anubias also but you dont have any from what i seen.

8500k is fine.

you have a crypt some type of bacopa i think and the bottom one looks like java fern.

its got crypt W, some java fern java moss and two other plants. what Id like to do is get the bushy or taller plants to the back for absolute structure and cover.

One of the fern leaves has some brown stuff all over it like overnight, when I get a chance today I am going to get my hands in there and see if its just sand and shrimp pellet leavins or algae, but I dont think algae can grow that fast I mean overnight less then 10 hours.

The plants I sent you were:
Java Fern
Lace Java Fern
Java Moss
Crypt W
Moneywort
Anubias

Yes but I cant tell the difference yet in them, I gotta stay on here with google for a bit and look at pics, they are doing great , the fern and moss got tied down today, I ted the fern to a smaller rock and just set it in there and the rhiozomes are on the rest of the bigger rocks in the back, I replanted a few and cleaned it up.
I just put the anubis in the sand and itll take root right thats all I could figure out to do with them. didnt think they needed to be tied down. I do appreciate it and its a world of different in there already both in fish behavior and the overall look. the wife is skeptical but doesnt realize in a month I will be trimming then back and planting the live food tank( gup fry).

Dont put the rhizome (bottom thick part) of the anubias under the sand either. You can bury it up to the roots, or tie it to a rock or wood as well.

Ok cool, thanks for the heads up. I got to looking at pics and names to put the two together and found out the only ones that should be planted are the crypts and moneywart, correct?

Back
Top Bottom