ohcanada starts another tank! 10 planted S. American

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohcanada_00

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know, the wood I picked is African, but in my mind, it drifted across the sea and landed in the rainforest! ;)

Anyway, In preperation for a super sweet aquascape I'm planning, I wanted a little practice setting up a planted tank from square one rather than converting like I did on my ohter tanks. Thanks to Petco's dollar per gallon sale, I picked up a 10 gallon for a hospital tank and then decided to do this project...! (I got a 5g for my hospital tank as I feel that will do the trick to qt a fish before transplant to one of my many other tanks should I need it.)

Anyway, I'll put a few more pics up tonight but my feeling is to just get some plants and wood going now and see where it goes. I'd love to have a nicely balanced and set up tank on the vivarium level.

My biggest debate is whether or not to soak the wood to get all the tannins out or just saturate it and then throw it in the tank so I get a more realistic color and feel for a S. American style tank. Thoughts?

Some pictures for now, the lights are el-cheapo because I'm doing LED's later i think, not doing any high light plants at the moment plus the room they are in has a ton of natural light during the day but it never gets direct sunlight.

75465-albums12183-picture55028.jpg

75465-albums12183-picture55029.jpg

75465-albums12183-picture55030.jpg

Contents (Work in Progress will add and edit as I progress):

Tank: 10g All Glass tried and true bargain basement edition

Substrate: 10 lbs CaribSea FloraMax midnight black

Wood: Mopani driftwood

Filter: Penguin 150 with a previously seeded biowheel from another tank

Heater: None yet

Lights: Home Depot clamp lights with Aqueon 10w 50/50 daylight/bluelight fluorescent bulb.

already off in another direction. My wife surprised me with some news we may be moving so I'm going to run this one as a small planted tank with some Red Badis I think. More news later!

Back
Top Bottom