Ok, I am going to plant my tank now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gallon that had a pitiful 30w of lighting on it until recently (aka last Friday), when I received my new 260w fixture! I currently have 2 10k and 2 actinic lights in there (so 130w of usable light), and I don't have CO2, so I am going to keep it this way for now.

I have a PFS substrate as well, with an XP3 and Hydor ETH 300w heater.

I am going to start planting this tank, and need some help on low-mid light plants that are relatively hardy. In reality, I have no idea the names of plants, so that is where your help would come in. I need some plants as stated previously, that are low-mid light, hardy, and fit into the following categories:

foreground (or ground cover)
mid plants (4-10" height)
background (10-15" height)

Again, I don't know what I want the look of my tank to be yet, but I can look at all the swords in the world and not know what is appropriate for my setup. TIA and I would be happy to answer any questions.

Check out PlantGeek for ideas on plants. You should be able to grow anything in the Low and Medium Low categories. You'll probably be able to grow most of the plants in the Medium category as well, although they'll probably grow a little slower. There's an indicator for plant placement that will help to give you an idea of size. For more detailed information you can check out APC's PlantFinder and Tropica.

If that tank is a standard 75, about 14in tall with 2wpg you will have limited success with ground cover plants. The mid and backround plants should be no problem.

I've had very good results with any plants that reach halfway up the tank, and no growth with plants that are in the bottom third of the tank. There is just not enough light reaching the bottom of the tank when you have 2wpg.

That being said I have 2wpg, no Co2, Pfs, and am very happy with it. I even grow some high light stem plants. They just need to be mid hight when you start them.

I'll just add, try a variety of plants and see if you like their individual properties. Trust your senses, you will know what is pleasing to your eye.

I'll also recommend malaysian trumpet snails. They are ideally suited for the sand.

TwoHobbies said:
If that tank is a standard 75, about 14in tall...

Actually, I thought mine was a standard 75g, but the dimensions are 48" x 18" x 20" tall (approximately)...wierd

BTW, thanks for the link Purrbox, I am having some luck on Plantgeek!

Jchillin said:
I'll also recommend malaysian trumpet snails. They are ideally suited for the sand.

Oh, they are already in there. I actually just got some ~1" in size that my loaches and rams are unable to eat!

Thanks everybody!

hey, quick question from the plant newb - I have read about building up the substrate to give the tank a sense of depth. If the substrate is built up to say 6" in the back, doesn't that increase the risk of anearobic pockets building up (or am I confused on how you "build" up the substrate)?

Take a look at the previous discussion on the MTS. Yeah, you will get them but if it is churned and stirred often, they are released. Sometimes the MTS snails do this on a regular basis. Your loaches stir your sand too right?

Back
Top Bottom