Ok I'm depressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to my LFS the other day to trade in some plants. I looked at their plant show tank, which up till they added a few amano shrimp a month or so ago, was overrun with blue/green and hair algae. Now the tank is almost clear of all the algae and looks fantastic. It shows signs of low nitrates with all the pinks and reds but it is amazing looking with plenty of compact growth. I gave them some baby teardrop a while back and it is making a nice little carpet too.

The thing is they don't do anything to this tank except use tropica master grow once a week. No co2. Lighting is a CF strip that is shared with the tank beside it. Here I fertilize every day, use DIY CO2, weekly 50% water changes and my plants are doing OK at best :evil: . They are even growing rotala magenta in this tank now and mine has almost died off completely. Makes me sick.

Sorry for the rant.

Keep your chin up Peyton. They could be using totally different water than you, depending on how far away they are from where you live. I do plumbing for a living, so even buildings that are close aren't necessarily on the same water supply. Can make a huge difference.
I have a 10 gallon in my son's room, no ferts, exel when I remember, no C02. Plants survive and thrive in that tank that don't in my high light, supercharged 20. Why? Who knows! Don't beat yourself up, try different plants in your main tank, find what grows for you. Toss the ones that don't, load up on the ones that do! Once you get inspired and are happy with your progress, maybe go back and look at those ones that failed one more time :)

Don't feel bad, I couldn't get any pllants to grow until my tanks were well over 6 months old, almost a year. Sometimes it just takes some tweaking and experimenting. Sometimes some plants just don't like us and they won't grow for us.

I can grow crypts, anubias (very fast), Ludwigia repens, and Wisteria but I can't get Water sprite, Rotala rotundifolia, HC nor foxtail to grow in the same tanks. Don't get discourages because you will find plants that look like you want that will grow and others that won't but there is always one that will that you will be able to grow.

That is why I like AA so much. If I had to buy the plants new that I have tried it would have cost me a small fortune and I would still be fighting with plants I can't grow.

Also, one word of advice, when you see that a plants needs a certain light amount, don't let it discourage you from trying it. The highest light plant might be a problem if you don't have the extreme high light but other than that, give it a try, if you can get them.

I can imagine how you feel. Everytime I look at Hara's tank (4wpg, nothing added at all), I get a bit wonderstruck too.

It has often been said that no two tanks are alike (even when in the same house as Glen points out). It is more a matter of finding and striking the right balance.

Yeah, I had it good too...I never had any form of algae and was only dosing potassium. Out of nowhere, I got hit with BBA. :shock: :(

Ya, like they've been saying, don't worry. Eventually, you'll get there!

Personally, I keep all of my plants under flourescent lighting, that's all I do, and they grow. Lilies, aponogetons, java fern, java moss, vallisneria, etc. Those are the few plants i've come across that are VERY hardy. IMHO and experience...all that fancy stuff is worthless. I'm not a plant expert, or have kept huge planted tanks, but in my case...none of it's needed. (don't quote me on this, or single me out! It's just my experience, I can say for sure it won't work for everyone).

I guess maybe I'm too hard on myself sometimes. I can grow the easier plants pretty good. Stuff like java fern, apongetons, potamogeton gayi, etc grows well. I have been trying to grow some of the "harder" plants lately though. Rotala magenta, rotala wallichi, ludwigia glandulosa to name a few. Glandulosa is doing the best but thats not saying much.

Since I consider myself a plant collector now I just can't stand having a plant that won't grow. It's kinda like if your a baseball card collector and you keep losing a card or two. Your collection never feels complete without that one you lost. Don't know if that makes since or not.

Don't feel bad, I've killed Rotala Magenta too. As far as the Rotala Wallichi I didn't kill it but it never looked good so I ended up throwing it out. Some plants just don't like us for whatever reason. There several other plants that I either killed or gave up on. I may try them again in the future, but for now I'm just enjoying the plants that do well for me.

Don't give up. I can not keep an anubia alive no matter what I do. Find the plants that work for you.

lol i couldnt keep combomba or bacopa alive in my 20 gal but can grow ludwig repens rubin and blyxa japonica to levels of red that are unheard of. the one plant that i didnt have success with that still bugs me today is l.aromatica. it just refused to grow and all rotted in my tank. i have had green water, bba,cyano,random fish death and insane difficiencies and i just kept trying till things worked for me. i dont care what plant refuses to grow for me casue i will keep trying till it does lol.

Peyton, don't be discouraged - like the others are saying - all tanks and plants have their own balance and you'll find what works for you! I had a narrow-leaf sag grow from 1/2 inch to 10 inches in a 5 gallon tank, low light, and DIY CO2. I tried to remove it to put it in a 10 gallon tank with better light and pressurized CO2 and it died. :( I felt bad because I grew it from a tiny plantlet. I know what you mean when you say your collection doesn't feel complete without the one you lost. But you can always try again, or you can experiment with new plants that will also become your favorites.

There must have been something magical about that one 5 gallon - it's a "new" 5 gallon now, and I enjoy it, but I still think about that sag and how well it did there. Hang in there - I think you're experimenting with an impressive plant list and I'm sure you'll do well with them!

Back
Top Bottom