ok this is unique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilme

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have 30 gall set up
my sis wants nemo theam
my mom\dad want it freshwater
and compatible
what shoud i do mom wants the tank in nemo plus a dory theamed tank any clue what to do :thanks:

and i know i have sevrile treads this 1 is my sisters tank

Do orange and blue male guppies and a school of cories with a few mystery snails. maybe some neons or harlequins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

and she thinks corys are lame sence i have a school in my tank :(

Then a Betta sorority of 5 or so females. You can get blue, orange, etc. add some khuli loaches on the bottom. Or a pair of BN plecos. MAYBE for a target fish add some neons but I wouldn't risk it

A honey gourami with a school of cardinals would be bright and colorful. I might hold off on the betta sorority until maybe you have a bit more experience under your belt? They just require a bit more careful planning and observation than your average tank, particularly since this is for your sister too. Can I assume this will be a lowlight tank? Anubias, crypts, Java fern and mosses are all good beginner plants.

Sent from my iPad using science

Thanks I think she will proble try to stock It with barbs or tetras of some sort

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've seen too many "sororities" fail. It's just such an unnatural way for them to be kept. When the goal of keeping fish is to keep stress to a minimum, I will never understand why it's okay to subject them to such a high stress environment. They are NOT African cichlids - the cichlids naturally live in high stress, high population density environment.

I've seen too many "sororities" fail. It's just such an unnatural way for them to be kept. When the goal of keeping fish is to keep stress to a minimum, I will never understand why it's okay to subject them to such a high stress environment. They are NOT African cichlids - the cichlids naturally live in high stress, high population density environment.

Thank you!

I highly dislike the sorority idea even though, admittedly, I know very little about it.

Fish are not people. They don't get along better after some bonding time.

I'm not saying it will never work, just that IMO it's usually unnatural and precarious.

Thanks I think she will proble try to stock It with barbs or tetras of some sort

Remember this:

It may be her tank, but YOU are setting it up. YOU know what to do. If she wants to put an Oscar in there or whatever, you need to just refuse to help her. Do what's right, and explain that it needs to be properly stocked.

I think if you wanted you could persuade them away from a Nemo theme, towards something more natural. If you want to stick with an orange and blue theme, however, try Killifish. They require research and may be a bit difficult, but they are very hardy. I don't know much more than that about them so maybe someone else could chime in?

Are there any dwarf african cihlids? Seems like the closest colors and settings for freshwater.

Remember this:

It may be her tank, but YOU are setting it up. YOU know what to do. If she wants to put an Oscar in there or whatever, you need to just refuse to help her. Do what's right, and explain that it needs to be properly stocked.

I think if you wanted you could persuade them away from a Nemo theme, towards something more natural. If you want to stick with an orange and blue theme, however, try Killifish. They require research and may be a bit difficult, but they are very hardy. I don't know much more than that about them so maybe someone else could chime in?

Yes I am working on it but there determine to have 1 purple fish

Cichlid tend to work if they are slightly overstocked so I just figured the dwarfs would work the same. This way noone can establish a territory to defend.

Cichlid tend to work if they are slightly overstocked so I just figured the dwarfs would work the same. This way noone can establish a territory to defend.

They'll just kill who's in their territory..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Exactly. You are going to have trouble finding purple freshwater fish.

Might just give her glofish

Back
Top Bottom