Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, do I have this right?

I have a standard length 55g, with just the 2 flourescent tubes that came with the setup. My substrate is pool filter sand, and I have resin rocks and driftwood-looking ornaments, and silk plants. I would like java moss to cover the fake rocks and fake driftwood. Can I buy some, tie it onto the rocks, and then just leave it to grow? Doesn't it have to have sand or SOMETHING for the roots to grow in? Sorry for the stupid question, but it just sound too easy to be true.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Thebluyak
no java moss attatches itself to whatever you tie it on to, depending on light will tell how fast it will grow.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

With only 40 Watts, you're lighting is going to be on the very low side. Java moss will likely grow very slowly, but should still survive.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

So you think my lighting is only 40 watts? I have tried to check the tubes and can't find it posted anywhere, so that's good to know. Is there any type of ground cover that would do ok with my lighting as well?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Re: Okay, do I have this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slroo
I have a standard length 55g, with just the 2 flourescent tubes that came with the setup. My substrate is pool filter sand, and I have resin rocks and driftwood-looking ornaments, and silk plants. I would like java moss to cover the fake rocks and fake driftwood. Can I buy some, tie it onto the rocks, and then just leave it to grow? Doesn't it have to have sand or SOMETHING for the roots to grow in? Sorry for the stupid question, but it just sound too easy to be true.
No, java moss does not have roots. It just has little legs that attach itself to surfaces with. Just tie it to driftwood or rocks, and in a couple months time, will be attached to whatever you tied it to, and should be able to remove the string. Just remember to tie it on thinly. If you tie a thick clump on, the lower moss will die off and not attach and cause lots of problems.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Flourescent bulbs are 10 Watts per foot. So with the standard two bulbs each spanning half the length of a four foot tank you are looking at a total of 40 Watts.

Without upgrading your light it's going to be pretty hopeless to try to have a ground cover. Most ground cover plants require High Light, although some will do okay with medium light. With your current lighting your main options for plants are Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias, Crypts, and Anacharis.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

great! And is java moss what I would want to use in the foreground as well, or can you recommend something to go in the substrate that would work for my low lighting?

opps, sorry, didnt see that you had already replied

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com