Okay, I'm lost. Help please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneezy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thought I had a decent idea of what I was getting into but now it's become clear that I didn't!:(

Set up an empty 30 gallon five days ago, laid in eco-complete, added a handful of plants from petsmart (local fish stores are very limited in my neck of the woods) along with fertilizer tabs and filled up the tank. Low lighting (1 watt per gallon) and no CO2. The water was super cloudy and almost opalescent the next day so I've been waiting since then for it to clear which it finally is.

Stupidly forgot to grab a water testing kit when I was at the store before but finally got my hands on one today and tested the water; ammonia/nitrates/nitrites are good but the ph is ridiculously high.

I did accidentally stir up one of the fertilizer tabs when I had to shift a plant away from the filter - would that have caused the high ph? Or are the plants causing that?

No fish in the tank yet since I wasn't quite sure of when to add them, but does that mean I should have been adding some sort of supplements to the water in the meantime? And when typically is a good time to add fish?

Since the water has finally cleared up, I've noticed that it looks like there is some white fuzz growing around the root/rizome portion of the plants which seems ominous to me - is that a bad sign or reasonably normal? Been running around 8 hours of light a day since I thought that with the low lighting they might need a bit extra time, but is that too much?

Oh, and the plants in the tank are:
amazon sword
narrow leaf java fern
green crypt
anubias nana

Thank you in advance for any guidance you have to offer!

What is the ph of your tank? And, what is the ph of the tap water (or other water) you used to fill the tank?

Our tap water is pretty good I think - tested at about 7.0 ph, tank tested at over 8.5.

I haven't done any water changes in the tank yet (I was thinking water changes wouldn't be as necessary with just plants in the tank?) but was thinking to do one tomorrow to see what that did to the overall ph level.

Okay. I'm not going to be your best source. Knowing the difference between your tap ph and your tank may help someone else answer. As plants use up the co2 in your tank, the ph will rise. Are you dosing your tank with the liquid Co2 since you do not have pressurized co2?

I thin the water change idea is good, that might help rule out the idea that this is related to something you put in the tank during the initial setup.

I have not been adding any CO2, liquid or otherwise. Is it necessary this early on? Aiming for a very low tech/easy upkeep setup since I don't have any experience with planted tanks and a limited budget.

I will do that water change first thing tomorrow though and see what happens. Thank you for your posts! :)

Make sure your root tabs are well buried. You will need either some ferts or an ammonia source to cycle the tank.

Did you tie your Fern and Anubias to something ? The Rhizomes should not get buried.

Back
Top Bottom