Old leaves on Anubius have algea....should I trim or leave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Anubius have been doing well in my low light tank. Many new leaves have grown, and one even flowered.

My old leaves (at least 4-6 months) have algea all over the surface. Should these leaves stay, or should I prune them?

If you cannot clean the algae off by rubbing the leaf lightly with your finger then I would recommend pruning it. Anubias has such long-lived leaves that it is difficult to keep them algae free as they age. Keeping your PO4 levels in the 1.0-2.0 range will help reduce or eliminate algal growth on older leaves.

Any advice on how to prune? Should I cut close to the rhizome or leave a little stem? Should I trim the entire plant at once (could be 4 leaves or almost 40%) or one or two leaves a week and let the plant recover?

I do have some nice sharp pruning scissors ready to go.

Thanks!

I normally leave a little stem when I trim my Anubias because new leaves seem to fission off of the base of the stems. Anubias are very tolerant of pruning and will recover even from a bare rhizome as long as it is fat and healthy so, since you're only trimming 40% or so, I would go ahead and remove all of the affected leaves.

I get some algae on my middle leaves, the lower ones seen to "clean up" on thier own as they are more in the shade of the upper leaves. I suppose it somewhat depends on what kind of algae you are getting on them.

As for trimming, I have been able to get some pretty small peices to grow. I am talking a bare rhizome less than an inch long, and have it slowly grow back into a very nice plant.

I sometimes can salvage my anubias by throwing them for a day or two in a tank with a bushynose pleco and cherry shrimps (Neocardina denticulata). The pleco does a good job of cleaning the surface of the leaves while the shrimp make short work of the algae growing on the leaf's edges.

I would leave the shrimp in my larger tank all the time but these guys do not realize what a tasty treat they are to my larger fish and don't even try to defend themselves. They are however perhaps the best algae eating shrimp I've had!

Pygmaeus said:
I sometimes can salvage my anubias by throwing them for a day or two in a tank with a bushynose pleco and cherry shrimps (Neocardina denticulata). The pleco does a good job of cleaning the surface of the leaves while the shrimp make short work of the algae growing on the leaf's edges.

Good point Pygmaeus. Nerite snails also do a great job of cleaning the leaves of plants (well bigger heavier leaves like Anubias and Crypts anyway) of algae. You can get them at www.azgardens.com.

Back
Top Bottom