Old Scales Semi-Rescape 29g Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine are starting to color up more and finally starting to grow, even the poor runt. Your looks really good now. The one is actually getting close to 3" now and am trying to decide what to do. I'm going to have to really look at it today and see if I can see a new spout like you described.

I'm telling you I have seen a difference since upping my phosphates to between 5-10ppm. I really wish you could tell the difference in the color on those darn cards as I'd love to know exactly what my level is at! What did you up your to? Are you still dosing the same amount of micros or did you up that alittle also?

I couldn't live without my Aqueon WC'r!!!! I think back to when I had several big tanks and wonder how the heck I managed... oh wait I was WAY younget then! I couldn't have this big tank without using one. Wish I had wised up years ago about using one... ah, isn't hindsight great.

River, last PO4 test was 1.5ppm. I upped the daily dose by 2 ml. I'll test again in 3 days then on WC day #7. The micros are a mystery to me. I'm dosing 5ml for 30 gal now.
I just finished a PM to you. LOL
Next post is about some thread algae on my L. Peruensis. Where it came from I've no clue as I've had zero algae for almost two months until now.
Later, OS.

I'd go up to at least 2ppm phosphate! If your dosing micros at 1ml micro per 10g water daily I'd double dose that amount 2x a week. It will give the plants more micro's but especially more iron.

I'll be interested in what type of algae.

Thread Algae???

Attached pic is of my Ludwigia Peruensis(Glandulosa) showing some, what I think is thread algae(?). It is just on these plants, none of my other plants. Only have lights on 6 hrs(quad 24w T5HO). PPS-Pro ferts and Glut for carbon.
Ph=7.2 KH=4 Ammo=0 NO2=0 NO3=12-15. Temp=77F
Anybody have any tips on its cause and control. My nerites seem to ignore it. Would a Siamese Algae eater eat it?
Thanks all. OS.

Attachments

• ThreadAlgae.jpg
    ThreadAlgae.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 74
-Attaching a pic of the Ar mini. It is definitetly taking off. Its seems to propagate by putting tiny little new plants just under the biggest sprout. I separated some out today to see how they will react. The root system definitely goes downward into the substrate so it seems they will be both root and leaf feeders. Leaf feeders because when I upped my PO4 they are getting much redder. I would class its growth rate as moderate after they get their legs under them. They are only supposed to get about 3" tall and spread out.
-ALSO! I did my first WC with a Python water changing hose today. OMG! If I hadn't cleaned all the filters and trimmed plants, I would have been done in 30 min. NO buckets, no backache, not a drop on the floor. Now I'm playing with you big kids! LOL
-I am definitely going to rid the rocks for plants. Still researching all your suggestions and trying to decide.
Take care & God bless. OS.

Those look awesome (jealous) the ones got and am iffy about being the true mini variation look identical but are currently about 4-5" and a ton of aerial roots all over them.

Rivercats said she got some from another grower right before I sent her some of mine and she said they got that tall too. She said the ones I sent her stayed small +/- 2".
I got mine directly from Tropica in Europe so maybe I got the actual true mini. No aerial roots either. But MAN the shipping was expensive! This fall when shipping is safer, I'll be glad to send you some of my plants for you to try. No fee, just friendship. Later, OS.

Rivercats said she got some from another grower right before I sent her some of mine and she said they got that tall too. She said the ones I sent her stayed small +/- 2".
I got mine directly from Tropica in Europe so maybe I got the actual true mini. No aerial roots either. But MAN the shipping was expensive! This fall when shipping is safer, I'll be glad to send you some of my plants for you to try. No fee, just friendship. Later, OS.

Ya I got mine from the same person Rivercats did he claimed he got his from tropica.com also and even posted a pic of the container when I asked him why they were so tall. And told me that on his container it says they get up to 15cm tall. Bit this was after I already received them the smallest one was 3" the largest one was like 5" if I remember correctly. I'm just gonna have to trim the tops and toss the bottoms if they continue to keep growing. Your little plantlets you said where growing from the base. Are they coming directly out of the base of the stem or are they like little plantlets coming out of the substrate? Just so I know what to look for exactly. Me and rivercats talked about this plant some also. But it was when I first received them Nd now that there set in well its time to figure out wether or not there gonna stay in this tank or end up in the 55 when I get around to finishing setting it up.
Thanks

I pulled mine up after 2 months. About half had little side stems coming out from the main stem just about at substrate level. I carefully pulled them from the main stem with my forceps and all came off with a little root system of their own. I replanted them all and it doubled the area I had before. They seem to stand replanting very well. Because I use glut and not CO2, mine grow fairly slowly. They definitly get redder with more PO4 and root tabs help too. OS.

Oh cool thanks for the info ill have to give them a root tab and keep an eye out for the little side shoots. I also use glut I added more light to my tank this week and had to up my glut dose and am praying it doesn't throw my pps dosing off too much as I finally had everything almost perfect and had to go and add more light now I have a dual t5ho and 2 26watt daylight CFL bulbs pointing down into the tank. I have a total of 100watts now on the 20 lol.

Roger that Brian!
Hey guys, I talked to Rivercats on the phone yesterday. She's doing fine and says the CO2 set up is making her trim plants almost constantly. LOL What a problem to have, huh? On second thought my Limnophilia and Wisteria already drive me crazy with how often I have to trim them. Lord knows what CO2 would do to them. Keep in touch guys.
OS.

No... me too, as in I want some mini AR from OS when it's safe to ship and not in the 100+ here in AZ.

Oh gotcha lol.

Roger that Brian!
Hey guys, I talked to Rivercats on the phone yesterday. She's doing fine and says the CO2 set up is making her trim plants almost constantly. LOL What a problem to have, huh? On second thought my Limnophilia and Wisteria already drive me crazy with how often I have to trim them. Lord knows what CO2 would do to them. Keep in touch guys.
OS.

That's cool I can't wait to jump to pressurized. I think imma do it on my 55 when its all said and done.

You're very welcome Brian. Gonna call it a night. Got a date with a new male pearl gourami (a boyfriend for Claire) and eight marbled hatchets at 9:00am tomorrow.
LFS got my order in today. Later, OS.

Back
Top Bottom