Old Time Cryptocoryne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Y'all,

I think I've asked this before, but I want to ask again. I'm looking for an aquarium plant from my youth. My mom kapt aquariums form the time she was 10 years old (in the 1930s); I don't remember a time without at least one aquarium in the house while I was growing up, from the late 1950s through the late 1970s.

She always had one particular plant that she just called "Crypt". I don't ever remember her buying any; it was just always there. When I went out on my own, I took some of that plant with me for my tanks.

It was a darker green, like Java fern, on the tops of the leaves. The undersides were a wine color or maroon. The leaves were either smooth or slightly ruffled along the edges. It grew in a rosette form, wasn't more than 4 - 5" tall, and propagated by runners like crazy. She kept it in everything from 5-gallon to 55-gallon tanks under incandescent or fluorescent lights.

Everything I've seen points toward C. wendtii, but none of the many pictures look exactly like what I remember. I don't know what Crypts might have been around in the aquarium trade as long ago as the 1930s. If anybody has any idea what plant it might be, I would surely appreciate any help.

Thanks.

I'd say it would be one of these 3, crypt wendtii, crypt backetii, crypt affinis.

Hope I've helped

Aquarium industries in Australia have three different Wendtii versions, I have the brown Wendtii and it sounds like it's a good match for the description you gave. The leaves ruffle more with higher light and it does send out runners more frequently than many other crypt varieties i have although not constantly.

Back
Top Bottom