Old to New 10 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam24

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've decided that i will convert one of my 10 gallon tanks into a planted tank. It has been running as just a plain tank with gravel and decorations for 2 years. Water quality is great and its currently stocked with only a few barbs. I bought the lights, substrate, new driftwood and i picked out my plants and stock (Some neons and otos) My question is can I use the water and filter from this tank in my new set up? It may sound dumb and i might look like an idoit but i was just wondering. Will it speed up the cycling that i will need to do?

You can most certainly use the same filter and water! If you couldn't, man I would be in trouble! Using the same filter will help the cycle a little (or at least that's what I tell myself haha) but most beneficial bacterial is actually contained in the substrate. I wouldn't add the Otos or Neons until the tank is a little bit more established as both of those species has a reputation of being a little fragile.

Thanks! I knew they were both fragile. Now the question is should i set up the tank, plant it and all, then let it run for a week or so and make sure the water parameters are good, or should I keep a few other fish in there?

Thanks! I knew they were both fragile. Now the question is should i set up the tank, plant it and all, then let it run for a week or so and make sure the water parameters are good, or should I keep a few other fish in there?

Oh yes. It may take more than a week to fully cycle. But I always use the cycle time to try and determine where I want my plants and driftwood to be placed. Multitasking!

Back
Top Bottom