OmG please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newgirl40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I am new at all of this and I ordered a few plants online because I wanted to try them. I washed them and they are so pretty. Well, I have just started noticing snails! First 1 now 3! I hate snails.
What can I do???
Should I take everything out and start again?

Snails are good for your cleaning your aquarium. If you end up having to many you can buy assassin snails to deal with an infestation.

Nope. There were probably some eggs on the plants that you and the vendor missed. If they're the typical pond snail, they're healthy for your tank, eating algae and other detritus. (IIRC, they only eat plants if the leaves are dying.) Don't overfeed and you shouldn't have an explosion of them. If you do want to get rid of them, putting a piece of zucchini that you've nuked for a few seconds (then let cool) into the tank will attract them and you can pluck them out with the squash. And your fish will enjoy nibbling on it. :)

Nope. There were probably some eggs on the plants that you and the vendor missed. If they're the typical pond snail, they're healthy for your tank, eating algae and other detritus. (IIRC, they only eat plants if the leaves are dying.) Don't overfeed and you shouldn't have an explosion of them. If you do want to get rid of them, putting a piece of zucchini that you've nuked for a few seconds (then let cool) into the tank will attract them and you can pluck them out with the squash. And your fish will enjoy nibbling on it. :)

So if I take everything out, what can I use to make sure they are gone?

If there is a blob of eggs somewhere they will resurface in a few weeks. If you remove those juveniles before they are old enough to reproduce you should be fine after that.

Back
Top Bottom