on-line plants, repost/follow-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

http://www.aquariumplant.com/

I ordered their plant package, 24 plant assortment for 34.99. I ordered it Tuesday morning arrived today (thursday), priority mail. I've never ordered plants online before. They arrived wrapped in wet newspaper in a zipper bag, in the mailing box, good packaging. Many of the plants don't look good at all, especially the swords. However, as I said, I've never ordered plants online, so I don't know the industry standard or anything. Anyway, I planted them in my 45 gallon, ASAP. That tank has 80 watts of light and a diy co2 system. I want to see what the plants look like in a week or so. Also, I didn't start countin til after i had planted several of them, but I think they sent me closer to 40 plants than 24. That's a lotta plants!

Follow up:

Final count of plants was 36, including 8 in bulb form (partially sprouted). I think that's pretty darn good of them.

Many of the plants have shown much improvement in less than 2 days. This is cool, as it seems that success is within reach. I think I may lose a few of the swords, but they weren't in my long range plans anyway. No algae going on in that tank, except the little green dot algae on the glass. From my reading, that is very common. It certainly is very easy to deal with, 2 minutes with the scraper, clean glass. I can live wit that easy.

Also, there were so many plants I put 5 of them in my 20 galon tank, and put together another DIY Co2 reactor for it. this tank is severly under-lit, but now gets maybe2 hours of sunlight in the afternoon, so we shal see what happens there too.

Another thing I have definitely learned from this, is that even 24 different plant species in one tank is way too many. Looks too busy, cluttered and very unnatural. I believe for my 90, I will go with no more than 5-10 types of plants, in large quantities (Amano style). I believe this will be easier on the eye, and far more natural looking. I'm leaning towards the fine-leaved plants such as val. and crypts, and lots of low growing dwarf species for the foreground.

Back
Top Bottom