optimum CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have had the CO2 injection system up and running for about 4 days now. In the morning i get a reading of about 7 ppm of CO2, mid evening around 15. I get this reading based on a KH degrees of 5 and a PH of 7.0. I heard that the optimum CO2 is around 20-25. Im afraid that in raising my CO2 concentration, I will be dropping my PH to harmful levels. What do I need to do to get the levels up with out being harmful to my fish? How do i get carbonate hardness (KH) to go up?

your tetras will like a lower PH, I have mine set at 6.5 with a KH of 4-5 (in between) for 40ppm Co2.. seems to work well and my fish seem to not mind it at all.

If you want to increase it then Baking soda will increase your KH, as will Crushed Coral.

A KH of 5 degrees is plenty for CO2 injection to normal levels.

I have a KH of 5 and run my pH down to 6.6 due to CO2.

Simpte said:
Optimal co2 levels are 30-35ppm. The plants cannot take it in any faster than that.
And so with DIY, one should keep nominal CO2 above these levels, where the instability inherent in DIY CO2 (even with staggered bottles) is not important.

I've breeding colonies of shrimp at pH 6.6, CO2 >40ppm, fwiw.

Back
Top Bottom