Ordering plants in the winter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Due to where I live, it is hard for me to find certain plants, so I'll have to order some from Peabody's sooner or later. I'll start injecting CO2 into my tank around New Year's, so beyond that point, I'll be ready to start adding more/new plants. The only problem that I have is that I live in Ohio. Last year it was freakishly cold, and I think that it'll be like that again this year. I was wondering, is it okay to order plants in the winter? What temperatures would be dreadful to the life of the plants?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ship plants for the most part all through the winter. It really depends a lot on who you buy from and how well they package the plants. I use styro lining and it seems to work well. The plants will be OK for the most part as long as they don't freeze solid. I have submerged aquarium plants in my container ponds and the water has been in the 30s and even froze over this morning and they are still alive and well.

If it's below freezing, I put a heat pack in with plants I ship. I use styro too, but here, it's darn cold in the winter. I also strongly advise overnight shipping. Yes, it's much more expensive, but it's also much more likely to result in live plants arriving.

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I'll be ordering plants in the winter after all... just not when it is in the subzero category.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I live in Alaska and have plants shipped in and out all year round, even when its insanely subzero cold. Never used a heat pack on them either, just good insulation.

Back
Top Bottom