osmocote in sand substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so what if I used some osmocote in my sand instead of root tabs? Would this harm the fish?

I've done this and it went okay until I over did it with the osmocote. A little goes a long way. I lost my entire red cherry shrimp colony because of extreme nitrate readings. The neons I had in there survived but were quickly rehoused. The problem I believe is that sand has no cec properties. Meaning that the sand doesn't absorb any of the nutrients and release it later. The cec thing I'm still learning about, but it's along those lines.

I have used osmocote with sand and it was fine, but only a small amount. Probably like 6-8 little orbs under a couple of heavy root feeders. My problem with them was any time the sand was disturbed the osmocote would come up and sit on top of the substrate. My gravel vac didn't suck them up very well so it was just a pain to remove them.

I was thinking of just one little pellet under each of my Crypts and if I get any amazon swords or other sword varieties. I will still put root tabs in every 6 months or so.

I have DIY Root Caps. Gel caps with Osmocote Plus inside. I use a few caps in all my tanks. No issues. Just happy plants. I saw one little bead and just picked it out.

I have sand in both my 10g. My Crypts love them. If you want to make your own.

DIY Root Tabs

DIY Fert-Cicles.
Osmocote Plus from hardware store or nursery
+ Ice Tray
+ Tank Water

Fill trays 1/2 way with Fert
Fill trays with tank water
Freeze

Bury deep under or near Crypts and Swords or struggling plants. You don't need to put one per plant. Space them about 6" apart I think ??

I use O+ in my tanks. Got a RAOK of O+ root caps, gel capsules. They work great.

Do you use geletan or something to make it gel? I just think if its just water what's the difference between just sticking the pellets in the sand?

Oh ok, what if I used like plain unflavored gelatin though? And just let it gel and cut up pieces? Wonder if that would work.

Ok so I couldn't find osmocote plus, what about this stuff? It says it has micro nutrients.

ForumRunner_20120611_113100.jpg

ForumRunner_20120611_113119.jpg

ForumRunner_20120611_113131.jpg

well I've got my DIY root tabs in the freezer...

I couldn't find osmocote plus, and wasn't sure about the stuff I posted picstures of. So I bought plain osmocote for now, I still will dose seachem flourish complete once or twice a week.

You could use gelatin, but it's just one more unnecessary step. The ice cubes are just the delivery system, if you had to push each little ball under the substrate it'd take a while.

I've no idea what that package of stuff is but you don't want to add ammoniacal nitrogen to the tank anyway.

I've got some under the sand as well but I've taken to soaking the little beads, popping them, and dumping the mixture into the water less the gel capsules.

bigbanker said:
I've got some under the sand as well but I've taken to soaking the little beads, popping them, and dumping the mixture into the water less the gel capsules.

But that defeats the purpose. I'm using it to feed the roots on my Swords and Crypts. They are heavy ROOT FEEDERS.

I use a liquid Fert for my water column. I have Flourish for the water.

But that defeats the purpose. I'm using it to feed the roots on my Swords and Crypts. They are heavy ROOT FEEDERS.

I use a liquid Fert for my water column. I have Flourish for the water.

Ouch.

Anywho. Like I said that is what "I" do.

I soak them in water, pop them in the water, and whatever is in the granule is now in the water. Then it is poured in.

One thing to keep in mind is that these capsules are very slow release, meant to feed plants for 6 months or so. Releasing all of that at once could easily lead to a host of issues. The biggest concern is it will give you an ammonia spike which can result in a minicycle or poisoning to stock.

Back
Top Bottom