Osmocote questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkey Magic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all im just wanting to up my dosage on ferts and was thinking about trying osmocote.

My question is does it have to specifically osmocote or can i use another generic brand i can find at my supermarket? how much should you dose and can it harm any particular species of fish??

I use Osmocote Plus in DIY gel caps. I bury them deep in the substrate. You can also make
Fert-Cicles with an ice tray. Ferts 1/2 fill each tray , add tank water , Freeze. Bury 1 every 6" ???

Don't just throw it in the tank !!!!
I don't know other generic ones that are safe. Still would need to bury it.

Seen Jobes Plant Sticks used. Not sure on name.

Hi all im just wanting to up my dosage on ferts and was thinking about trying osmocote.

My question is does it have to specifically osmocote or can i use another generic brand i can find at my supermarket? how much should you dose and can it harm any particular species of fish??

In Aus there are lots of different kinds of osmocote. All of them work but some are better than others IMO. I use the native plant formula with great success. All of them have blue water saving granules. I don't know the effects of these in a tank but I pick them out before making my DIY frozen root tabs. I got mine at Bunnings but have seen them in Woolies also.

Monkey Magic said:
sorry to keep adding on questions but how often do you replace them?

I've heard about 2-4 moths I think:) I'm actually going to also do osmocote root tabs in my 10G.

Back
Top Bottom