Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I read that you can make root tabs out of osmocote. Sadly I cant find it here in Canada. Is there an alternative fert that is similar to osmocote like miracle grow or something.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I personally LOVE flourish tabs. No problem interfering with water chemistry if you have to uproot any plants. They're solid, pretty insoluble, and last a good while. I have them embedded in the substrate in almost all my tanks with floramax (like Eco Complete).

I haven't used osmocote personally, but followed a thread recently where the member that used it kept getting crazy ammonia spikes. It just seems like too much of a headache for my taste.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use DIY Osmocote Root Tabs. A member, Ghostshrimp sells similar ones here also.
I've never had an Ammonia problem. I have CRS so water problems will kill them. You can also put Osmocote into ice trays 1/2 filled add tank water and freeze.

I have Crypts so need root food.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I suppose if you bury it good in the substrate and make sure it doesn't surface you'll avoid issues. I recall a member here (can't remember who exactly) had ammonia issues. To me, it just didn't sound fun... More like a headache.

But if you google "osmocote" "aquarium" "ammonia" you'll see some problematic threads out there. I guess it can be used, but you need to make sure to be careful.

Here are some examples:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=122085

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=164836

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=230962
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I read all 6 pages of the first thread. It was deduced that the OP did something really wrong, like way overdosing plus a dead fish was not found.

You have to decide for yourself what you are comfortable using. Tom Barr is an expert on this stuff and a member of my club. So I feel confident in using Osmocote Plus DIY caps.
I bury mine deep and I only add every 2-4 months.

Regards,
Tina
Supporting member
San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I believe the problem with possible ammonia spikes in the Osmocote plus is when the water soluble nitrogen is from ammonia not nitrates. That information would be on the package. Plus IMO you can have problems with alot of things if too much is used.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
I believe the problem with possible ammonia spikes in the Osmocote plus is when the water soluble nitrogen is from ammonia not nitrates. That information would be on the package. Plus IMO you can have problems with alot of things if too much is used.
Okay I decide to nvm the osmocote and bought some more root tabs turns out they are ten bucks at local petmart instead of 20 at petland.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Yahoo to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Skype™ to DanTheGuppyMan
I just got some osmocote plus tabs from Ghostshrimp, and I will be using them in a smaller tank of mine so I will let you know how it goes for me
----------------AquaScaping Styles - Which style fits you?--------------
DanTheGuppyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm using the osmocote DIY ice cube been in my tank for about 1 1/2 weeks no water troubles so far
Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I plan on using the Osmocote to make DIY root tabs after my seachem tabs run out. I've already bought the Osmocote. I read over the links that brian posted, from what I could tell I think they had the ammonia problem because the just sprinkled the pellets on top of the substrate so they just sit there. The way I was told how to do it was to put 6 pellets in each section of an ice cube tray, fill with tank water and freeze them. Once frozen push them down into the substrate.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Been using Osmocote indoor outdoor formula since Late May ... no issues. The ice cube method's the way to get a few into the substrate in a specific area. My swords love them.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
Been using Osmocote indoor outdoor formula since Late May ... no issues. The ice cube method's the way to get a few into the substrate in a specific area. My swords love them.
I have an amazon sword, I can't wait to try this on them. Not trying to hi jack the thread... But does anyone have an opinion on if it would be overkill to do some of these Osmocote tabs (maybe start out with only 3-4 pellets instead of 6?) in addition to my seachem root tabs?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012 View Post

I have an amazon sword, I can't wait to try this on them. Not trying to hi jack the thread... But does anyone have an opinion on if it would be overkill to do some of these Osmocote tabs (maybe start out with only 3-4 pellets instead of 6?) in addition to my seachem root tabs?
I suppose you could, but if you already have tabs, I'd say use them first.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree, use your Seachem tabs up, then start using the new ones.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use oscomote root tabs for my swords, and it works really well. You have to start off slow then add more accordingly to whatever plants are showing phosphate deficiencies as oscomotes flower supplement is high in phosphates.

The way I incorporate them is by inserting them inside of coffee filters and pushing them down deep in the substrate.

I also use liquid potassium and API iron root tabs as well.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And rememberer everything in moderation.

Tags
root tabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com