Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Otto Bloated?

Is it possible for otto's to get bloated even I don't supplement any food other than algea wafers every 3 days? thanks!

Attachment 83168

Attachment 83169

Old 03-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Yes it is possible. Bloating can be caused by over eating, constipation, internal infection, parasites or a tumor. My phone not bringing up pictures for some reason so I can't see him. It is possible he has internal parasites if he was wild caught.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
Yes it is possible. Bloating can be caused by over eating, constipation, internal infection, parasites or a tumor. My phone not bringing up pictures for some reason so I can't see him. It is possible he has internal parasites if he was wild caught.
Is there any way to check if he has any parasites? I've never seen his poop before so is there another way to check?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only other way I've heard of for checking for parasites is if he has odd or frightened behavior, but that may not appear in some fish. I've been told that warming up a pea, then peeling it, then putting it in the tank for your fish to eat can combat parasites. (and constipation?) keep a close watch on the guy, and keep an eye out for any worms or odd stringy poop! If it's a rumor your fish is totally screwed, but tumors are pretty rare. If its bloating or constipation, there are medications from stores and home remedies online. Did that help you?
Old 03-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258
The only other way I've heard of for checking for parasites is if he has odd or frightened behavior, but that may not appear in some fish. I've been told that warming up a pea, then peeling it, then putting it in the tank for your fish to eat can combat parasites. (and constipation?) keep a close watch on the guy, and keep an eye out for any worms or odd stringy poop! If it's a rumor your fish is totally screwed, but tumors are pretty rare. If its bloating or constipation, there are medications from stores and home remedies online. Did that help you?
Both my oto's get scared pretty easy but I think thats normal for them. As for the pea, my otos never go to the top of the tank so I don't think they will get to the pea I've had both of them for about 3 months now, if it was a tumor or parasite wouldn't the Oto be dead by now? That helped a lot!!! Thank you
Old 03-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stick th peeled pea on the end of a silver spoon. Don't use a fork, they can hurt themselves on that. I'm sure that helped!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I honestly dont think your fish has parasites, but i would feed him peas and go through the procedures just in case. If he did have parasites he wouldnt be very active and would kinda stare off into space likw my angelfish used to do.. Goodluck bro!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
I honestly dont think your fish has parasites, but i would feed him peas and go through the procedures just in case. If he did have parasites he wouldnt be very active and would kinda stare off into space likw my angelfish used to do.. Goodluck bro!
Yeah I dont think so either lol but I will go through all the nessacery procedures thanks!!
Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check for any possible fungal infection, and you should search bloated fish home remedy and see if there's anything you can do for that, and treat for bloating and constipation as well. That way you'll tackle whatever illness he has! ^^
Old 03-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

http://www.allabout-aquariumfish.com...sites.html?m=1

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloat, bloated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com