Otto Bloated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes it is possible. Bloating can be caused by over eating, constipation, internal infection, parasites or a tumor. My phone not bringing up pictures for some reason so I can't see him. It is possible he has internal parasites if he was wild caught.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes it is possible. Bloating can be caused by over eating, constipation, internal infection, parasites or a tumor. My phone not bringing up pictures for some reason so I can't see him. It is possible he has internal parasites if he was wild caught.

Is there any way to check if he has any parasites? I've never seen his poop before so is there another way to check?

The only other way I've heard of for checking for parasites is if he has odd or frightened behavior, but that may not appear in some fish. I've been told that warming up a pea, then peeling it, then putting it in the tank for your fish to eat can combat parasites. (and constipation?) keep a close watch on the guy, and keep an eye out for any worms or odd stringy poop! If it's a rumor your fish is totally screwed, but tumors are pretty rare. If its bloating or constipation, there are medications from stores and home remedies online. Did that help you?

alia258 said:
The only other way I've heard of for checking for parasites is if he has odd or frightened behavior, but that may not appear in some fish. I've been told that warming up a pea, then peeling it, then putting it in the tank for your fish to eat can combat parasites. (and constipation?) keep a close watch on the guy, and keep an eye out for any worms or odd stringy poop! If it's a rumor your fish is totally screwed, but tumors are pretty rare. If its bloating or constipation, there are medications from stores and home remedies online. Did that help you?

Both my oto's get scared pretty easy but I think thats normal for them. As for the pea, my otos never go to the top of the tank so I don't think they will get to the pea:( I've had both of them for about 3 months now, if it was a tumor or parasite wouldn't the Oto be dead by now? That helped a lot!!! Thank you:)

Stick th peeled pea on the end of a silver spoon. Don't use a fork, they can hurt themselves on that. I'm sure that helped! :)

I honestly dont think your fish has parasites, but i would feed him peas and go through the procedures just in case. If he did have parasites he wouldnt be very active and would kinda stare off into space likw my angelfish used to do.. Goodluck bro!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I honestly dont think your fish has parasites, but i would feed him peas and go through the procedures just in case. If he did have parasites he wouldnt be very active and would kinda stare off into space likw my angelfish used to do.. Goodluck bro!

Yeah I dont think so either lol:) but I will go through all the nessacery procedures thanks!!

Check for any possible fungal infection, and you should search bloated fish home remedy and see if there's anything you can do for that, and treat for bloating and constipation as well. That way you'll tackle whatever illness he has! ^^

He doesn't necessarily look bloated in those pictures, or at least not critically so. He could just be all fat and happy. A fat oto is a happy oto.

He could also be a SHE, and it's pregnant. Otos are rarely known to breed in captivity.

The whole pea thing kind seems silly to me... it works great for many other semi-carnivorous or omnivorous because it acts as an immediate source of fiber, but these are herbivorous we're talking about here. They live on greens.

aqua_chem said:
He doesn't necessarily look bloated in those pictures, or at least not critically so. He could just be all fat and happy. A fat oto is a happy oto.

He could also be a SHE, and it's pregnant. Otos are rarely known to breed in captivity.

The whole pea thing kind seems silly to me... it works great for many other semi-carnivorous or omnivorous because it acts as an immediate source of fiber, but these are herbivorous we're talking about here. They live on greens.

Wow, I wish the oto was pregnant lol but I've never seen them do their "dance"

Actually that's what I was thinking too. But I might as well give it a try. Should I just let the blanched peas float? I don't think they will touch it if it's floating though.

I had a really bloated looking Oto....she was just full of eggs :)
I had a very lethargic, this Oto. I added some wormer to the tank and he got better. Otos can have intestinal worms. But not all are as easy to cure as mine was.

Coursair said:
I had a really bloated looking Oto....she was just full of eggs :)
I had a very lethargic, this Oto. I added some wormer to the tank and he got better. Otos can have intestinal worms. But not all are as easy to cure as mine was.

Should I try dewormer on the shrimp tank then? On a sidenote, if she is pregnant, do you think the eggs will hatch in the tank?

Well is she is carrying eggs, she'd need a male to fertilize them. My "pair" ended up being two different species of Oto :(

Be super careful adding ANY meds to a Shrimp tank. Might kill the Shrimp.
If you want to medicate your Oto, I'd isolate and quarantine the fish and treat in a separate tank. I used Fenbendazole, which IS safe for Shrimp, but I used it for Planaria. I have no idea if that's what helped the Oto male, but it seemed that it did. No idea why or how it helped.

My ottos have very round bellies, because they have loads of food to eat! Is the bloating just underneath or all over?

Mine has been bloated for over a month now. Had heard that Otos and plecos need wood to chomp on to help them digest. Added some driftwood and she's gotten even rounder. Hopefully it is just because I just added another food source.

Joebt said:
Mine has been bloated for over a month now. Had heard that Otos and plecos need wood to chomp on to help them digest. Added some driftwood and she's gotten even rounder. Hopefully it is just because I just added another food source.

Might just be a female full of eggs.
Otos don't eat wood like Plecos, but they do enjoy the biofilm that grows on it.

Back
Top Bottom