Paintball CO2 On a 36 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're going to spend $150 on a paintball regulator, then there's no point to even doing it as you can get a regulator and 5# tank for that much. If you're going to rule thing out because they're potentially dangerous in the wrong hands, you're going to be missing out on a lot of things in life, like driving.

I just confirmed that Air Gas will do the 5 pound... Now I just have to stay on the lookout for anyone selling used tanks or regulators....

Going with the standard setup with a 5 pound tank.

I live in Tampa and the Air Gas over here Swaps out tanks pretty cheap. A 5 lb will last you awhile with a controller or timer on it. I was looking to go the paintball route a few months ago but weighed out the costs and found a good post on CL with the tank and regulator, couldn't pass up the offer on the full system. Best investment made on planted tanks... don't go the cheap route for co2 (unless it's a good cheap deal somewhere like CL). Save up and spend the extra few bucks (or same amount) it goes well in the long run. I have had one full 5 lb tank for over 4 months now and still going. :)

I saved up some money over the last month and I ordered a bunch of stuff for a pressurized system. Did I miss anything?

• 5lb aluminum CO2 tank
  • Premium AquaTek CO2 Regulator with Integrated Solenoid (R-76-1)
  • 16ft of CO2 tubing
  • Brass bubble counter (also acts as check valve)
  • Green Leaf Aquariums atomic diffuser 65mm
  • Drop checker from eBay

I am pretty sure the solenoid requires a timer, but I have an extra one of those laying around so I don't need to buy one of those. Is there anything I'm missing?

I called the local Air Gas store and they're the only place around that does CO2. It sucks that they act only on a swap basis, so I'll lose my brand new tank before I even get a chance to use it.

I saved up some money over the last month and I ordered a bunch of stuff for a pressurized system. Did I miss anything?

• 5lb aluminum CO2 tank
  • Premium AquaTek CO2 Regulator with Integrated Solenoid (R-76-1)
  • 16ft of CO2 tubing
  • Brass bubble counter (also acts as check valve)
  • Green Leaf Aquariums atomic diffuser 65mm
  • Drop checker from eBay

I am pretty sure the solenoid requires a timer, but I have an extra one of those laying around so I don't need to buy one of those. Is there anything I'm missing?

I called the local Air Gas store and they're the only place around that does CO2. It sucks that they act only on a swap basis, so I'll lose my brand new tank before I even get a chance to use it.

Is there a home beer brewing place around you? Some of those places will fill them also. For a timer, just get a christmas light timer, I use Brinks ones from Wal-mart, they're like $4 and I've never had an issue with them.

I already have an extra Marineland timer, so I don't need one of those...

Is there anything else I'm missing on my list?

Have you checked locally for any paintball fields/stores? How about Sports Authority? I think they refill co2 tanks too.

I made a list of welding supply stores and fire extinguisher service places as well as Tractor Supply and ACE Hardware. I'm going to call them all tomorrow and see which places do swap and which do refills.

What parts differ from a paintball HP co2 on a paintball gun and a DIY aquarium set up? It seems to me that, if it's safe enough to run around, fall, etc with one, it's safe enough for it to stand still under/beside your aquarium. Plus the tanks have a pressure release nut.

The OP already bought an Aquatek regulator (good choice BTW). A DIY co2 rig is usually a single stage regulator with a needle valve. I believe they're susceptible to EOTD (end of tank dumps) that can nuke your livestock. A dual stage regulator is my choice and worth saving a little extra money for piece of mind.

I called Action Fire and Supply in my town... They can REFILL a 5 pound tank for $15. I'll be going there :)

Ohh... Haha.. Well at least you found a spot that will allow you to keep your shiny new cylinder :)

Back
Top Bottom