Pank's Planted 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe use some crypt wendtii, maybe red or bronze for the mid ground? They look amazing when they really fill in.

Or like I said the blyxa... Haha

I'm thinking more and more that this is what I need to do. Blyxa, baby tears, anubias and some crypts. And that's it. What do you think?

I like the way you set it up. Great job! Be sure to send me a pic when its all done :)

Thank you! Hahaha, perfect timing! I sent you a message yesterday to get a piece for my 15g, lol. Seriously, I want more tanks just so I can get more of that wood. :D

An update, but a rather unpleasant one. I have mentioned before that I live in an old mill building (this is relevant). It's about 110 years old. When it was converted to condos, they left as much of the original building elements intact. This includes the gorgeous hardwood floors. Over time, floors separate, sink, split, etc. None of this impacts their safety and actually adds to the look. But there is a trade off. We have as much as a 2" variance between the high and low spots. This means the floor is very, very flexible. So when I filled my 55 and walked anywhere w/in 6 or 8 feet of it (including on the other side of the wall it's against), the water sloshed around. A lot. It was pretty scary to see and I emptied the tank immediately.

Since we'd been talking about having the floors re-done anyway, we figured this was as good an excuse as any, and called some people to get quotes. Turns out the place is designated an "historic building" which means any significant changes require city approval, permits, inspections, lots of red tape. Oh, and it'll cost $15k. So that's not going to happen.

I'm headed to Home Depot today to get some heavy duty plywood to put under the stand. My engineer friends seem to think that will help with the rigidity in that area and the tank will be stable enough to use. I hope so. Even setting aside the rather large sum of money I've spent on this tank, I will be crushed if I can't have it. :(

Wish me luck! I'm certainly going to need it.

Is anchoring it to the wall studs out of the question? And which way does it slosh? To and from the wall or side to side?

It is not anchored - we have metal studs. It's moving to and from the wall. But it's not just the water - the stand moves visibly. The floorboards run lengthwise, so movement across the width doesn't make sense to me, but there it is.

I think anchoring might work but given the weight I'd want to go with butterfly anchors in the drywall. The husband isn't excited about large holes in the wall especially if we don't know if it would work. If the plywood doesn't work that may be the only choice though.

No worries about the questions - you're trying to help, which is awesome. :)

I'll give you all the dimensions. The back of the tank is 2 1/4" from the wall. Overall stand dimensions are 48.5" L X 13.5" W X 29.5" H. The floor is perfectly level in that area.

It is not anchored - we have metal studs. It's moving to and from the wall. But it's not just the water - the stand moves visibly. The floorboards run lengthwise, so movement across the width doesn't make sense to me, but there it is.

I think anchoring might work but given the weight I'd want to go with butterfly anchors in the drywall. The husband isn't excited about large holes in the wall especially if we don't know if it would work. If the plywood doesn't work that may be the only choice though.

How can someone have you buy a condo and then tell you that you can't do something? There is a place in Cincinnati it was our first suburb ever build back in the 1800's or something abandoned in 2003 the city block became over grown with trees and such it looked like a little San Fransisco. There were multiple plans to restore it it was zoned historical just after it went vacant. But the housing bubble and the tanking of the economy ruined that . So last month they dosed the place I was disgusted we have no regard for history in the USA.

You can look up the neighborhood on google just search Glencoe Hole Cincinnati Ohio

Kind of irrelevant but relevant.

Can it be moved closer to the wall? If so I think I have a solution. It shouldnt be too much of an eye sore either.

So I would take a 2x6 which is actually 1.5x5.5 and cut it down to say 54 inches.

I would stain it a color to match furniture in the room or the hardwood. If you want a nice color or don't want to match. I recommend ebony by minwax as its **** near black and should blend in with your stand material.

Now using lock bolts I would mount the bar about 4 inches below the tank bottom.

Then you should be able to use brackets to hold the legs to the board.

Does any of that make sense?

Its the only way I can think of preventing from rocking to and from the wall

How can someone have you buy a condo and then tell you that you can't do something?

We can do it, it's just a giant pain in the a**. And way too expensive.

Can it be moved closer to the wall? If so I think I have a solution. It shouldnt be too much of an eye sore either.

So I would take a 2x6 which is actually 1.5x5.5 and cut it down to say 54 inches.

I would stain it a color to match furniture in the room or the hardwood. If you want a nice color or don't want to match. I recommend ebony by minwax as its **** near black and should blend in with your stand material.

Now using lock bolts I would mount the bar about 4 inches below the tank bottom.

Then you should be able to use brackets to hold the legs to the board.

Does any of that make sense?

Its the only way I can think of preventing from rocking to and from the wall

The baseboard extends about 1/2" from the wall, so I'm not sure it's possible to get close enough. And my filter is a canister so I need a bit of room in the back.

I did a bit of research though, and I think I'm going to try mounting brackets or furniture straps or something directly into the stud. It looks like all I need is a different drill bit. They're 16" on center and it happens that the tank is positioned in precisely the right spot. Perhaps it's an omen. :D If you hadn't asked about the studs being hollow, I would never have thought of it.

We can do it, it's just a giant pain in the a**. And way too expensive.

The baseboard extends about 1/2" from the wall, so I'm not sure it's possible to get close enough. And my filter is a canister so I need a bit of room in the back.

I did a bit of research though, and I think I'm going to try mounting brackets or furniture straps or something directly into the stud. It looks like all I need is a different drill bit. They're 16" on center and it happens that the tank is positioned in precisely the right spot. Perhaps it's an omen. :D If you hadn't asked about the studs being hollow, I would never have thought of it.

Glad I could help :)

Back
Top Bottom