Parrots feather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought some Myriophyllum aquaticum about a week ago. I have started to notice something strange happening. At first the plant looked like this:

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/parrotsfeatherstand.jpg

Now the tips of are starting to look like this:

http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/Maquaticum.jpg

It seems like the plant is transforming the short stubby leaves into longer finer ones. What exactly is going on?

Here’s a pic of my parrots feather:

img_646733_0_3eeff91d8dd41064949f082cb229915c.jpg

Could possibly be going from Emersed growth to Submersed growth? It's about all I can think. Looks good..... Great pic.....

May be a result of higher light as well. The leaves need less surface area to absorb the light they need.

Lonewolfblue said:
Could possibly be going from Emersed growth to Submersed growth? It's about all I can think. Looks good..... Great pic.....

Yeah I think you're right. I checked plant geek again it says that that the first pic that I posted was how it looked emersed. I didn't notice that it was labled emersed before.

I didn't think that parrots feather could grow emersed. When I went to big al's last week they had more emersed plants than aquatic. All of the parrots feather they had there was complety submersed so I thought it was a fully aquatic plant.

I wasn't 100% sure on it myself, that's why I posted it as a question, for others to chime in. And I agree with rich as well, could be a lighting issue. :)

2.5w/g is pretty good lighting actually, and if the plants are tall, they are much closer to the lights as well.

Lonewolfblue said:
2.5w/g is pretty good lighting actually, and if the plants are tall, they are much closer to the lights as well.

Oh I didn't think 2.5 was really that good. Right now the tallest plant (parrots feather) is about 6 inches away from the surface.

Mine looks more like the second pic. I received some from Hara several weeks ago, and that's how they came, and that's how they continue to grow. I wish they looked more like the emmersed growth, but instead they are quite lanky and fine bladed.

I also have about 2.5 wpg in a 20 gallon long.

bman said:
Mine looks more like the second pic. I received some from Hara several weeks ago, and that's how they came, and that's how they continue to grow. I wish they looked more like the emmersed growth, but instead they are quite lanky and fine bladed.

Yeah I like the way it looks emersed as well :). Maybe it will grow tall enough and rise above the water line and start to grow emersed again. How tall is your parrots feather?

A lot of plants can grow partially emmersed for long periods of time. it helps during the dry season.

2.5wpg of compact fluorescent is often considered high light territory. Are you running any CO2?

malkore said:
Are you running any CO2?

I'm still running the nutrafin co2 system but I will be injecting pressurized co2 as soon as a find a place to get a co2 filled tank.

Sorry for getting back to you so late, but mine range from two inches to almost 10 inches. The cuttings I received were around 6-7 inches.

The ones I did receive though were kind of lanky. The internodes were spaced far apart. Now, since I have had them they are fatteneing up just like jchillins'.

Back
Top Bottom