Pearling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

konmanos

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a question re pearling.. If you injected Co2 into an aquarium, with no plants, will it pearl? That is will the soil pearl? Or is pearling the release of oxygen - as - a result of photosynthesis on the plant.. ?

Tank - 1 - OFFICE
Aquascape - initial setup March 2014 and then rescape August 2014
CADE Tank 800 x 800 x 600 - 320 litre
Sump filtration - Long noodles, 3 Layers Filter Pads. Carbon
UVIEW sterilizer
CO2 with inline reactor
ADA fertilising
ADA soil setup
RAZOR LED lighting
Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME
Juwel 120 litre tank - setup Dec - 2010
Fluval 406, cannister
Inline reactor c02, compressed
LED lighting

The latter, plants can only use so much at once, excess will bubble out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks

Tank - 1 - OFFICE
UVIEW sterilizer
CO2 with inline reactor
ADA fertilising
ADA soil setup
RAZOR LED lighting
Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME
Fluval 406, cannister
LED lighting

Therefore, if this is called excess and not required, can you reduce the bubble count, as we are pumping in more Co2 than what can be consumed ?

Tank - 1 - OFFICE
UVIEW sterilizer
CO2 with inline reactor
ADA fertilising
ADA soil setup
RAZOR LED lighting
Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME
Fluval 406, cannister
LED lighting

Therefore, if this is called excess and not required, can you reduce the bubble count, as we are pumping in more Co2 than what can be consumed ?

Tank - 1 - OFFICE
UVIEW sterilizer
CO2 with inline reactor
ADA fertilising
ADA soil setup
RAZOR LED lighting
Twinstar

Tank - 2 - HOME
Fluval 406, cannister
LED lighting

Im not sure, it seems pearling is used as a measure if successful co2 dispersion/absorbtion. I think it's something to strive for..

Slightly wrong brookster i think buddy.

Pearling is the result of photosynthesis. You are actually seeing oxygen bubbles not co2 bubbles from the plants. Its a bi product from photosynthesis.

The reason it bubbles like it does is the water has reached saturation point. The plant is creating the oxygen faster than the water can absorb it, hence the visual effect of the bubbles.

This is why its considered a success as it shows your plants are photosynthesising well.

Also pearling tends to happen more often in the days after a water change due to the oxygen fuelled water recently added to the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Slightly wrong brookster i think buddy.

Pearling is the result of photosynthesis. You are actually seeing oxygen bubbles not co2 bubbles from the plants. Its a bi product from photosynthesis.

The reason it bubbles like it does is the water has reached saturation point. The plant is creating the oxygen faster than the water can absorb it, hence the visual effect of the bubbles.

This is why its considered a success as it shows your plants are photosynthesising well.

Also pearling tends to happen more often in the days after a water change due to the oxygen fuelled water recently added to the tank

Much more elegantly phrased buts that's basically what I was getting at.. but yah! What sk3lly said;)

Pearling can also occur on a non-CO2 injected tank after water changes. If there is a large amount of dissolved gasses, including oxygen, present in the new water, then it is possible that O2 saturation will be reached and what cannot dissolve from photosynthesis with result in pearling. I believe this is known as false pearling (thanks Rivercats).
The same can occur when hydrogen peroxide is added to the tank (usually for algae control). The release of oxygen can increase the O2 levels beyond saturation.
I inject CO2 in my planted tank but usually only see pearling when both light fixtures are on. I have them on separate times with a 3 hour overlap.

Back
Top Bottom