pearling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, I have read about pearling SOMEWERE in my aquarium planted tank book but cant find it...and its driving me crazey...and I saw it mentioned earlier in a thread..so..what is pearling? :oops:

"Pearling" is the name given for beads of oxygen forming on aquatic plants. You have most likely seen what is referred to has "false pearling" in your own tank(s) after a PWC. Pearling will occur when your water column becomes saturated with Oxygen. Since your plants exhale Oxygen and the water will no longer accept it, you end up with small Oxygen bubbles on your plants, which will detach and float to the surface. Heavy pearling can leave your aquarium looking like a bottle of carbonated water.

I may get corrected but pearling is what happens in planted tanks when the water is already saturated with oxygen. The plants continue producing oxygen and because the water is already saturated it can't go into solution so therfore it pearls up in little bubbles on the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom