Pearling after PWC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
roydooms said:
I just got lucky with mine. I got the whole set plus pH monitoring system and two 10-lb. tanks for $200. You don't need all of those. You can probably get a working system for less than $130 brand new.

O I'm in perth Australia :p so everything are overpriced. A system here without ph monitor is about 500+ (refillable bottle)

This is really entertaining me. Lol

Attachments

• image-1324782305.jpg
    image-1324782305.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 87
Hubert90 said:
O I'm in perth Australia :p so everything are overpriced. A system here without ph monitor is about 500+ (refillable bottle)

How much is that in U.S. $?

Hubert90 said:
Well US and AUD are in parity (it's not I think AUD is higher but let say it is) so it's about the 500 us? Hmm ya I wish I lived in the us.

That's expensive!

It was my understanding that this type of streaming o2 bubble 'pearling' happens when o2 is at max saturation level in the tank. It's more prevalent at WC's on certain tanks because of all the turbulence raising the o2 level.

jetajockey said:
It was my understanding that this type of streaming o2 bubble 'pearling' happens when o2 is at max saturation level in the tank. It's more prevalent at WC's on certain tanks because of all the turbulence raising the o2 level.

I thought it's the CO2, lighting and balanced nutrients that makes a plant pearl? High levels of oxygen does that as well? Or is it a different kind of pearling? Is it still called "pearling"?

jetajockey said:
There's a lot of discussions on the subject, here's a decent one
Plant Pearling Revisited

I understand now. Thank you.

It's "false Pearling".

"is caused by nothing more than the fact that the water you are introducing is saturated with O2. Once you exceed the saturation point, all the O2 being produced by the plants is not absorbed into the water and they pearl. It's not "bubbling out" of the water."

It's pearling (in the most obvious way), though it's almost like the plants are cheating to pearl. Typically, a constinuous stream that is pretty uniform will come from damages stems/leaves. If you trim a stem, then do a pwc, you'll see a continuous stream coming from them. The bubbles coming up randomly, clinging to the leaves indicates pearling, but IMO it only counts when it's been a day or more after a PWC. Still, its very cool to watch :)

Back
Top Bottom