Pearling after PWC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just did a PwC and my plants started pearling. I noticed it 10 minutes after PwC. It's not trapped bubbles from PwC. It's pearling for more than 10minutes now. This is the first time it happened. I have a CO2 system but this is the first time my plants pearl. You can see in some of the pictures stream of bubbles coming out of the plants. Does PWC help with pearling?

Attachments

• image-3408803518.jpg
    image-3408803518.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1960461723.jpg
    image-1960461723.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image-2322695175.jpg
    image-2322695175.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2118907964.jpg
    image-2118907964.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 108
It happens all the time. I am not sure why, has to with the gas levels after the water mixes and sloshes etc. Great looking tank.

rich311k said:
It happens all the time. I am not sure why, has to with the gas levels after the water mixes and sloshes etc. Great looking tank.

This is the first time this happened to me though. Maybe I didn't really look at it and just thought it was trapped bubbles. Just excited that my plants finally pearled. Lol thanks for the compliment :)

Pearling means that ur plant is photosynthesis really well (meaning Ur plant is doing well) I love the first pic! My ambulia pearls as well. But not to that extend! Its so pretty!

adadkins1 said:
I have seen it too. My plants will pearl like no other following a pwc. Nice looking plants!

It's normal but this is a first for me. Lol Thanks :)

Hubert90 said:
Pearling means that ur plant is photosynthesis really well (meaning Ur plant is doing well) I love the first pic! My ambulia pearls as well. But not to that extend! Its so pretty!

You are right about pearling. The first pic is proserpinica palustris(mermaidweed). I have some ambulia too but not pearling as much. Thanks :)

Are the bubbles clinging to the leaves or is there a strand of bubbles moving outwards? If it's the latter, it's not actually pearling. I thought mine were too after a PWC, but it's just gas escaping from a damaged part of the plant. Pearling will not just happen after a PWC, and is involves large bubbles just sitting on the edges of the leaves.

Rosenweiss said:
Are the bubbles clinging to the leaves or is there a strand of bubbles moving outwards? If it's the latter, it's not actually pearling. I thought mine were too after a PWC, but it's just gas escaping from a damaged part of the plant. Pearling will not just happen after a PWC, and is involves large bubbles just sitting on the edges of the leaves.

By the looks of it, it's pearling. They all seem to be clinging on like eggs! And bubble size is depended on the type of plants I believe!

You can see at the pic that it's a continuous stream of bubbles. Some are clinging on the leaves and are getting bigger. It's pearling.

I even shook the bubbles off the mermaidweed and now it's covered in bubbles again.

I've heard from plant experts (mfd, etc) that a stream is not pearling, it's gases escaping from a damaged plant.

That's true. Not all the plants are producing a string of bubbles. Most are on the leaves and when it gets bigger, floats to the top. Like what I said, I shook off the mermaidweed and is now covered in tiny bubbles again.

I see, I understand now. I wasn't trying to criticize, thanks for explaining!

Hubert90 said:
Ok. I would love a pressurized system but its so expensive.. Haha

I just got lucky with mine. I got the whole set plus pH monitoring system and two 10-lb. tanks for $200. You don't need all of those. You can probably get a working system for less than $130 brand new.

Back
Top Bottom