pennywort?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I often see pennywort (or is it moneywort?) growing in grassy areas, specifically places with st.Augustine grass and an irrigation system. I am wondering if it would be possible to put this into one of my tanks or is it a different plant entirely? Also how would I clean it to ensure that any pesticides are removed or would that be possible at all?

I never really considered buying pennywort/moneywort when I ordered my plants online but I was thinking it would be good for the bettas since they like to make bubblenests under floating leaves.

Please don't bash me if I cant do it. It's just an idea!

Ok from what little research I have been able to obtain, it is pennywort , not moneywort. I have read a few testimonies on other forums where they have been succesful growing it from their yards. I think I am going to put some in a vase and fill with tank water and some ferts and set it outside so it can get some sunlight to test and see how it does.

But if there is any reason I should not do this I would like someone to tell me. I don't want any harm to come to my fish. My only concern is possible pesticides, but I figure if I let it grow out on the back porch in a bowl/vase of tank water for a while it will eventually leach out any chemicals or pesticides? I can continue to add tank water when I do water changes and dose fertilizer once or twice. I was thinking a week of doing this and changing the water daily should make it safe for my tanks?

Pennywort

Hello ashley...

Pennywort is one prolific, aquatic plant. It will grow quickly in low to moderate light. I started with one branch of this plant about six months ago and now have it growing well in my six tanks.

The key to growing any aquatic plant is to keep the tank water extremely clean. I have large tanks and change half the water in them weekly.

The new water replaces the macro nutrients the plant needs and the fish provide the rest of the macros. You also need to dose a good source of micro nutrients too. Those come from a commercial source and in granules, dry or liquids.

Above everything else, have fun.

B

Thank you for the general info. However, I have been doing low maintenance low to medium light planted tanks for some time now. My question was more about the pennywort specifically growing in st.augustine grass here in Florida and if it is safe to put in my tank. I only want to use it in ny 5 gallon betta tanks.

In my 29 gallon I dose seachem flourish with weekly water changes and excel 3-5 times a week. I will probably do a 0.5 ML dose of seachem flourish in each of the 5 gallon tanks and maybe try 0.25 mo of Excel 2-3 x a week once I get palnts in them

Pennywort

Hello again ashley...

Not sure I'm clear on your question, but I've never had luck getting plants to grow in my tanks other than those raised specifically for keeping in aquariums. The differences between the outdoors and my tanks was enough that the plants didn't survive. In Florida, that may be different.

If you decide to put plants you find outside into your tank, make sure they're thoroughly rinsed in some of your water change water.

I've used Seachem's Flourish Excel, but didn't like it's affect on my ferns, mosses and Vallisneria. Apparently, the trace of carbon in the liquid was toxic. I use organic hydroponics liquids in my tanks and my plants really do well.

Nice chatting with you.

B

Well I guess I can give it a try and see what happens. The only plant I was going to attempt this with is pennywort. But now that I am looking for it , I can't seem to find any, lol.

Back
Top Bottom