Petco Petsmart pest-free plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The individually wrapped plants in Petco and Petsmart with gel substrate - were these plants raised in a fishless environment?

The Petsmart package says pest-free. Does that mean there is no need to quarantine these plants? I don't want my fish to get sick from hitchhikers on the plant.

The Fluval brand are guaranteed not to have snails, not guarantee otherwise. As far as other bacterial or microbial life, that's what rinsing in peroxide is for. Clean off the gel and foam, then "wash" in a light bath of hydrogen peroxide before planting. They're definitely regarded as one of your safest options for beginner plants.

I've probably bought about 10 of these with only a water rinse and haven't had any fish pass afterwards or anything like that. The only hassle is you have to wait for the immersed leaves to die for the new submersed leaves to form. Depending on the plant it and how fast you can grow it, It might take a while.

I got some ar cardinals and bacopa from petsnart, gave them a good 24 he soak and planted them, they're growing quite nicely for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The individually wrapped plants in Petco and Petsmart with gel substrate - were these plants raised in a fishless environment?

The Petsmart package says pest-free. Does that mean there is no need to quarantine these plants? I don't want my fish to get sick from hitchhikers on the plant.

These plants were grown emersed in a controlled environment.. some are even tissue culture grown.... that's why there's usually no pests or anything to worry about. I give them a quick rinse before planting.

Are Petsmart and Petco same quality in terms of cleanliness and survivability? Only Petsmart claims to be pest free (for packaged plants). Petco makes no such claim on the container.

How much peroxide do you use in the bath? 20% peroxide too much or too little? How long is the bath? 1 hour?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

3%, standard stuff you get at the store. I just lightly rinse and cover all parts of the plant. You can soak for a few hours, but not really necessary.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got some ar cardinals and bacopa from petsnart, gave them a good 24 he soak and planted them, they're growing quite nicely for me

How are your ar cardinals doing and how easy do they grow? I just got some for free from petsmart yesterday.

I have done java fern, amazon sword, and what they call umbrella leaf plant, and have been fine

Don't worry about a peroxide soak. You won't find any hitch hikers worth killing on these plants. None at all, really. You'll just do a bit of unneeded damage with the h202. It's safe, but still can cause a little damage. If you still want to, 1:1 ratio.

How are your ar cardinals doing and how easy do they grow? I just got some for free from petsmart yesterday.

They are doing great, not growing super fast but they're growing, nice and purplish red, I have them under a finnex planted plus and a dual t5no with a rosette bulb, dosing full Seachem line of ferts and metricide.

Has anyone compared Petco vs Petsmart? Are their packaged plants about the same?

Has anyone compared Petco vs Petsmart? Are their packaged plants about the same?

I've noticed that petsmart's generally are nicer when I go because they have a light above them, but when it comes to actual plant, I think the difference is negligible.

I am somewhat new to the hobby but I have purchased and had great luck with the following from petsmart in the bags or tubes: S. Repens, Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Dwarf Hairgrass, Bacopa Monnieri, and Echinodorus.

I have yet to see any pests on the plants and they all adjusted very well despite my unskilled planting methods

How did you plant the hairgrass? They are so tiny in the package. Did you basically just bury half of the plant in gravel?

I wish they specified which plants require intense vs medium vs low light. Do any of these packaged plants REQUIRE more care beyond just 12 hours of light per day? I'm not trying to aquascape an iwagumi. I just don't want the plants to die.

I agree with jkeating. Don't treat the plants that come in the little cellophane packs. They are tissue culture, which means they are grown in a sterile environment. As far as quality goes, they are basically the same, and may actually come from the same source, if not a similar one. Just be sure to get one that looks healthy.

Back
Top Bottom