Petco Plants in Gel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwhiptailplec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone else tried these things? I think they are amazing! For those who have not seen them they are sold in a plastic tube with no water, only the roots are covered in this clear gel stuff. The plants are gorgeous and look spectacular in my tanks, they come snail free, and you generally get 3 or 4 instead of 1 plant in each tube!

They sell in three sizes $3.99 for small, $7.99(approx) for medium and $9.99 for large. My only complaint is that the packaging does not tell you much about the plant, but this is so much better than fishing some moth eaten weed out of the normal plant cemetraies at PETCO and Petsmart!

So far I have bought Borneo and Amazon Swords (each 3 or 4 for the price of 1), Gold Ribbon (2 for 1), a tropical fern (no idea what it is pecisely but it is gorgeous and I truly hope it is a real aquatic and mid-low light) and some grass like tall plant (forget what they labelled it but looks great and came about 7 plants in 1).

I just wondered if anyone else had seen these, and why more stores are not doing it.

I'm pretty sure the Gold Ribbon is not a true aquatic plant although I could be wrong. It looks a lot like the Dracaena sanderiana at plantgeek.com in the non-aquatic section. The "Aquatic Fern" they sell is not aquatic for sure. Good healthy plants, just be careful about what you are getting because many of them are only for terrarium use with frogs or newts.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=11

When I last looked, about half of those 'tubed' plants were non-aquatics. Some are fine for the aquarium, some will rot because they are meant for a terrerium/reptile cage.

That might well be the case I know I had some gold ribbon previously which died....That is the one complaint I have that these plants do not give adequate info on the packageing.

Truth to tell the packageing actually looks like it was knocked out in some guys basement, not the normal proffesion quality we are used to.

I have to say it does seem likely the ferm is not a true aquatic....But its so gorgeous! Grrrr. Well if it starts to fade I suppose I can just consign it to the edge of the pond....*sigh*

the tropical fern is not a true aquatic. you should hit plantgeek.net and look at his non-aquatic plant list. I'm pretty sure there is a Brazilian or Asian Fern that petco sells in those tubes that isn't remotely aquatic.

Back
Top Bottom