Petsmart driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaJesseBetta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found this peice of grape something or other driftwood at petsmart on sale $10.19 is this aquarium safe if not can I make it aquarium safe and what is need for prep on water logging and cleaningImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394223697.806256.jpg

Driftwood

I found this peice of grape something or other driftwood at petsmart on sale $10.19 is this aquarium safe if not can I make it aquarium safe and what is need for prep on water logging and cleaningView attachment 226400

Hello Bet...

The driftwood is safe and should sink on it own. Just rinse it well in warm tap water and it's tank ready. If you want to test it, put some drops of vinegar on it. If there's a reaction of any kind, don't use it.

B

Oh and also for anyone looking for a plant light I found this great deal (IMO) online on aqua traders 48" quad t5 ho for right at $100 shippedImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394224022.280112.jpg

Also I'm planning on tying some anubias nana or java fern to it what type of string or wire should I use

Aquatic Plants

Also I'm planning on tying some anubias nana or java fern to it what type of string or wire should I use

Hello again Bet...

I like to use really fine black sewing thread. The thread eventually dissolves in the tank water. By that time, the plants have rooted into the gravel. Don't use anything that's made of metal. Stuff like this can cause water chemistry problems.

B

Cool BBradbury thanks also will it attach to the driftwood threw the roots or will it grow enough to anchor to the gravel (anubias )

That looks like Mopani DW. You may consider finding a tub that it will fit in and fill it with hot or boiling water and let it soak a couple days. You'll notice the water turn an apple juice color. Drain and Repeat this a few times before you add it to your tank so your water color stays clear. The brown water isn't harmful at all, just ugly!

That looks like Mopani DW. You may consider finding a tub that it will fit in and fill it with hot or boiling water and let it soak a couple days. You'll notice the water turn an apple juice color. Drain and Repeat this a few times before you add it to your tank so your water color stays clear. The brown water isn't harmful at all, just ugly!

Thanks plantaholic I boiled it for 2 hours scrubbed and vinegar tested dropped it in and it looks amazing IMO ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394335492.891360.jpg
Had to wedge it between some rocks cause it's not water logged yet

Wow really amazing look! Love it! What brand was this wood do you remember? If you don't mind me asking.

I found that with java fern once it starts reproducing I can actually just slide the tiny roots into the cracks of your drift and it will grow. No string needed

Definitely mopani. Great DW. I'd put some anubias nana or petite on the top. Java fern would be cool, too.

I had to soak my driftwood extra long. But I love my mopani I got from Petco too

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom