Petsmart plants in a tube... how's the quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The lucky bamboo actually grows fine if you keep the top out of the water. The plants they sell work great as bog plants or an environment with high humidity, and some can adapt to being a regular houseplant, they just can't be submerged for long periods of time.

Yeah we actually have quite a few around the house as plants but these ones are always fully submerged and sold that way.:blink:

Just an update. I ended up buying a tube of amazon swords and wisteria. Both are doing great and looked healthy out of the containers. After 2 weeks the wisteria is about 1.5 times the original size and there are about 5 new shoots from the swords. And nothing fancy for the substrate, just plain old pool filter sand with no root tabs!

So I guess the tubes worked out for me!

I also bought swords and wisteria in a tube from petsmart. Both seem to be doing well given my poor lighting situation, though a couple of the wisteria plants had damaged roots.

Just an update. I ended up buying a tube of amazon swords and wisteria. Both are doing great and looked healthy out of the containers. After 2 weeks the wisteria is about 1.5 times the original size and there are about 5 new shoots from the swords. And nothing fancy for the substrate, just plain old pool filter sand with no root tabs!

So I guess the tubes worked out for me!
Are these the ones that come in a plastic tube with no water? Like in a gel at their base?

This is one of my tanks with Amazon Swords and Umbrella plants (yes, I know they aren't fully aquatic ).

View attachment 50761

The Umbrella immediately sent out a runner and had a ton of baby plantlets. Those plants lasted about a year ?? So I got my money's worth for a semi aquatic.

Amazon Swords still going strong after 2 years under a single screw in CFL in plain gravel. I finally took pity and gave them root tabs.

My Anubias was a write off, mostly brown. I floated it in my tank after a major trim. Finally tied it to a bridge and it's taken off. The other plant I split off is doing well also.

If you want the plant, there is no reason not to buy the fully aquatic plants in the tubes. Granted, now I'm in SFBAAPS I get most of my plants free :) But Petsmart plants got me started.

View attachment 50764

My LFS sold me plants that crashed my tank. They werent in a tube. They were in an abused tank

Petsmart plant in a tube... how's the quality?

Hi,

I had the same question. During my research I found this product called "Florish Excell" it is safe for your fish!
Here is what it does and a website link:

It provides the same benefit as CO2, i.e. it provides the plants with a source of carbon for growth just as CO2 provides them with carbon. However CO2 by itself will give you quantitatively more growth than Excel by itself, although Excel does provide a substantial amount in comparison. If CO2 is a 10, Excel is a 6-7. Using both together provides additional benefit. One of the advantages of the Excel is no up front equipment costs and complexity of valves, hoses and regulators, etc.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4656

I plan to use it in my new 38g. tank this week!

Hope this helps, Debby

dbbyjc1 said:
Hi,

I had the same question. During my research I found this product called "Florish Excell" it is safe for your fish!
Here is what it does and a website link:

It provides the same benefit as CO2, i.e. it provides the plants with a source of carbon for growth just as CO2 provides them with carbon. However CO2 by itself will give you quantitatively more growth than Excel by itself, although Excel does provide a substantial amount in comparison. If CO2 is a 10, Excel is a 6-7. Using both together provides additional benefit. One of the advantages of the Excel is no up front equipment costs and complexity of valves, hoses and regulators, etc.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4656

I plan to use it in my new 38g. tank this week!

Hope this helps, Debby

The added Carbon from Excel or CO2 is good. BUT you also need other Ferts. AND proper lighting.

If you go low tech (no gas) you can still get good growth.

I dose API Leaf Zone ( similar to Seachem Flourish) weekly.

I dose liquid Carbon (API cuz my work had it) when I remember to my newest tank. New 10g rimless cycling with my Betta. I DO NOT use Carbon in my Shrimp tank. Many do and have great results, but i lost a shrimp every time I tried it.

I'm using low to med light on my tanks. Screw in CFLs and one new Archaea 45cm fixture on my rimless 10g.

All my tanks are small so I can get away with this and grow plants fine.

I have to trim my stems weekly in all my tanks.
Myriophyllium Mattagrossense
Ludwigia repens (?)
Cabomba sp. red
Are my fast growers.
I have Duckweed which is great for sucking up excess. But man it doubles overnight !!

So just try to balance your equation

If you have High light without Ferts AND Carbon they can't grow like you want and you may just grow a TON of Algae

If you add EXCESS Ferts and don't power it with proper lighting ( not always High light ) you will grow Algae

So balancing your Light with Ferts and Carbon is the trick. Can you avoid Carbon and still grow plants ??? Yes.

I am new at this and lazy/busy so I like weekly chores. Wednesdays I trim plants , then do PWCs on my 3 tanks. A 5g and two 10g. I dose Leaf Zone after water changes according to directions if I remember. IF I remember I add liquid Carbon to my newest tank that has my newest plants (mostly Crypts).

I do have Osmocote + root capsules in all my tanks. Mainly for my Swords.

Many people in my Aquatic Plant Club use the Estimated (?) Index to know how much to dose and what to dose. Again I'm lazy and poor so I havent done this yet. They have great results.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom