petsmart - Trichomanes javanicum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dynamixcoder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, petsmart is selling these in sealed packages claiming they are aquatic. My research (i.e. google) says these are for terrariums and will die slowly underwater.

Did they hybrid this somehow or is it just another chain store screw up?

Btw, i have no intrest in buying them like theyare but wondering if they just got these to somehow grow magicly underwater...

I don't have any experience with that particular plant but chances are its not aquatic. I've come across many plants at Petsmart that are not aquatic. About the only plants I've had any luck with from Petsmart are crypts. Most of the others I can't be sure if they are aquatic so I stay away.

As far as I know they will slowly rot and die. Strangely enough, I have had this plant in an aquarium for 6 months. It was given to me. It has not rotted, nor died. It also has not grown much. I am transplanting it to an emersed growth to see what happens.

I try not to buy things from petsmart as they salenify all tank water.. (kills plants).

I just wasnt sure if this plant is or was being slowly adapted for full submersion.

Also, i noticed it carries the same traits as the common ferns you see at the nursery.

we have bamboo from them but they came with snails...sigh I try to only buy supplies from them

I would say that 80%+ of the plants that petsmart sells are non-aquatic. This is especially true for the stores that carry those little tubes with the gel in the bottom of them.

I had 1 of these plants you mentioned in my tank when I started out and didn't know any better. It never grew. It eventually started to turn brown. I found out it was non-aquatic and tried to get a refund from the store to no avail. So, it went into the bin.

I have one of those in the front of the 29g and it's doing good. I've had it about 7 months now. I have some new growth going on it. Maybe it's just the placement. I used to have it in the back of the tank behind the main feature which is a huge resin rock and it started to die. I moved it forward where the light is better and it also gets natural light in the morning from the open curtains.

i got this plant from walmart in a pot with rock wool like all the others. if has flowerd for me and is now putting off new leaves. the catch is i dont have it donw in the substrate. it is just stuck in a chola log that is slightly in the gravel that way the roots are exposed to the water totaly and i also have it in a good light and the curent from my hob filter. if i find it again i will get it again and use it in the tank. i have had no problem with it dieing. then again i have lots of mts that will eat at it from time to time

My two petsmarts that I visit due to location have pulled and stopped order on those tube plants, none are aquatic at all. they are bog plants and do well in soggy soil but the plant itself isnt a water plant it will slowly rot and die in the tank causing all sorts of issues if you are time crunched.

i will keep everyone posed on my plant and we will see if it does die. i have had mine for almost 6 months now and as said has not died and has even bloomed and is starting to put up new leaves. here is a link to pics of mine fern pictures by wicca25_2007 - Photobucket

and do check back from time to time i will update it

Back
Top Bottom