PetSmart tube plants? Tying down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I just bought some java fern, anubias, and amazon swords from petsmart. Is there anything I need to do to clean them or prepare to put them in my tank? And I hear about tying them down, can't I just bury the roots in the sand?

Thanks

Hi all,

I just bought some java fern, anubias, and amazon swords from petsmart. Is there anything I need to do to clean them or prepare to put them in my tank? And I hear about tying them down, can't I just bury the roots in the sand?

Thanks

The Amazon sword you plant in the substrate and use root tabs. The fern and anubias can either be attached to DW, or Rocks. If you plant them in the substrate, you have to ensure you do not bury the rhizome., however with anubias and Java fern it's best to tie then to DW / Rocks with string and let the roots take hold. They pull nutrients from the water column so you want the roots exposed and liquid ferts would best.

Oh okay thanks, what kind of string should I use? When should I get rid of the string?

Some use Regular cotton string ... probably a black / brown to match the color of DW so they strings color don't stick out. Eventually the cotton should disintegrate on it's own and by then the roots will have taken hold. Generally after a couple of weeks however, the roots should take sufficient hold to cut the string.

Back
Top Bottom