Ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thras

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I'm reading alot about co2 and plants I don't think I quite understand it yet but I have seen people say they put peat moss in there canister filters to lower it will this cloud or change the color of the water and does co2 or fertilizers change the ph? Or do u do this just to change it

thras said:
Ok I'm reading alot about co2 and plants I don't think I quite understand it yet but I have seen people say they put peat moss in there canister filters to lower it will this cloud or change the color of the water and does co2 or fertilizers change the ph? Or do u do this just to change it

Peat moss will soften your water and lower your pH. You usually use this when the fish that you are keeping or going to keep prefers lower pH and soft water. Otherwise, you don't need to use peat moss. Peat will turn your water brownish(tea-like color). You'll have to replace it once the peat leached out all of it's tannins. I used fluval peat granules and I had to replace it once a month.

CO2 will lower pH. I don't think fertilizers will change the pH. I'm not sure though.

Last edited:
depending on the fertilizers they may actually raise hardness. Potassium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, and calcium sulfate are some off the top of my head. Not that it's an inherently bad thing to do so.

Ok do u guys know anything I can use to lower my ph that will still make it look clear

The fish I lm getting do best in lower ph 6-6.5 I was always told to put fallen oak leaves In the tank but this looks ugly and makes the tank look super bad

What's your ph now? It probably doesn't need to be adjusted. I keep lower Ph fish like rams and discus in mid 7s.

One other method of keeping lower ph is to use a percentage of r/o water while doing water changes.

Ok I'm getting mixed readings and am confused I'm getting what I believe is a 6.4 to 6.6 on the low side it's not a bright yellow but it's not a green or aqua green but on the high ph I'm getting like a 8.2 maybe a 8.0 never had this happen to me before

But on a good note all other ammonia nitrite and nitrates are all good I will be testing gh/kh when I get a test kit Lps didn't have one so have to go hunt one down

It is ok that I mix it and let it sit for 5 min or so right doesn't say that in the instructions

thras said:
It is ok that I mix it and let it sit for 5 min or so right doesn't say that in the instructions

Are you talking about the pH tests or ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test?

You don't need to let it sit for 5 mins. Add, shake and read.

Fish likes and will usually adapt to a stable ph. Fluctuating pH will stress out the fish.

Yes. Carbon will absorbs tannins but it also absorb fertilizers for plants.

Not if you regularly clean your tank. I don't use any carbon in any of my tanks and I don't have problem with any foul smell.

Well I guess i will have to break out my old ro unit ugh didn't want to but I guess I got to

Back
Top Bottom