pH and CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ejaramillo01 said:
Thanks to all, I started the CO2 injection in my tank 3 1/2 weeks ago... Added the pH Controller, the drop checker, everything has being smooth. The plants took off immediately... The banana plant grew a steam, all the plants turned healthy, the algae is going down, still I'm seeing some, but getting better.
here are some pics of the tank:
:D

THIS is why so many people here suggest using a real co2 setup... less worry, less algae, healthier plants and such beautiful results! Great tank ejaramillo01.

CorallineAlgae said:
THIS is why so many people here suggest using a real co2 setup... less worry, less algae, healthier plants and such beautiful results! Great tank ejaramillo01.

Thanks Coralline, on top, I started to realized, besides the initial cost of the system, that in the long term is cheaper versus adding excel or any other source of CO2. Not to mention that the results between CO2 versus excel are not comparable, the CO2 improve the plants immediately.

ejaramillo01 said:
Thanks Coralline, on top, I started to realized, besides the initial cost of the system, that in the long term is cheaper versus adding excel or any other source of CO2. Not to mention that the results between CO2 versus excel are not comparable, the CO2 improve the plants immediately.

So true. BTW... welcome to the High Tech Club. Biggest problem we have in the club isn't what to do about all the algae, it's what to do with all the extra plants! Just kidding, algae still likes to pop-up sometimes. Not so much though. It really is a treat to watch the plants take over and the algae die under the powerful 3-hit combo of good lights, good ferts, and high co2. Ahhh...sweet victory. lol

CorallineAlgae said:
So true. BTW... welcome to the High Tech Club. Biggest problem we have in the club isn't what to do about all the algae, it's what to do with all the extra plants! Just kidding, algae still likes to pop-up sometimes. Not so much though. It really is a treat to watch the plants take over and the algae die under the powerful 3-hit combo of good lights, good ferts, and high co2. Ahhh...sweet victory. lol

Lol
You right, I will require to move plants soon....

One important update :

After two continuous weeks using the ph controller, the drop checker was always good (green), ph was steady at 6.8 ( my ideal ph to keep 30 ppm of CO2), after my weekly water changes (35%) the ph increases to 7.4 and then the CO2 started to run and in three hours was back to 6.8...... BUT the the last three days I noticed that the ph was 7.0 constantly, yet the drop checker was green and started to turn yellow ????

I realized that the ph probe was developing a little film, like an algae, and was not reading correctly !!!!!

I removed the probe, rinsed well, cleaned and re calibrated.... The tank is back to normal... I learned hat I need to clean at least weekly the probe to maintain the system working correctly..... Lesson learned, and I just like to share with all of you.....

:)

Update of CO2

ThIs is a picture after 7 weeks of using the CO2 injection... you can see how well the plants took off,
I'm happy, I increased the injection of CO2 recently trying to reduce algae issues, and so far is working good. (I'm aiming for a light green to dark yellow in the drop checker)...
Thanks to all:)

Excellent!

I am a big proponent of running higher than normally recommended co2 concentrations. The effects on algae are dramatic.

Update of CO2

Exactly Fort, on top, I think that the inline pH meter is always a risk, because the probe can grow algae also, or become slightly slimy.. I don't know if I'm correct, but every three days a need to wash the probe, if not the readings start to be a little high...
The drop checlker is a perfect guide to compare against pH and KH ratio..:fish2:

fort384 said:
Excellent!

I am a big proponent of running higher than normally recommended co2 concentrations. The effects on algae are dramatic.

I think it's time I try that out. I'm glad I read your post. ^_^

Edgar,
I never had that issue with my probes. Seems kind of strange. Maybe the probe itself is just malfunctioning?

I replaced my probe every 12-18 months and never cleaned any of them in between replacement.

fort384 said:
Edgar,
I never had that issue with my probes. Seems kind of strange. Maybe the probe itself is just malfunctioning?

I replaced my probe every 12-18 months and never cleaned any of them in between replacement.

Interesting... I will re-calibrated and observed, I'm assuming that if it's defective, I can still try to get a replacement from the manufacturer.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom