Ph drop help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coel

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my semi planted 55 running a ac70 and 2x54w 6500 t5ho just had a ph drop. Substrate is flourite and black gravel. Plants are wisteria, duckweed, and an amazon sword. There is also a little anachris but I'm removing it since excel doesn't like it. I was running peat in my filter to lower ph from 7.8 to 7.4. I tested today and its a 6.8 and I'm going through a mini cycle... Not fun already lost 2 cories. Any ideas please help

Water changes. Get your buffers back up and stable.

What do you want to keep that can't handle pH 7.8?

It's not what I can't keep it was more trying to get my cories an shrimp to breed. I was trying to get my water closer to neutral.

I will agree they will breed more readily in a slightly lower pH... but trying to lower pH and keep it stable is often a losing battle. If you are really looking to keep it more neutral and stable, an RO system might be the safest way - you would then need to add some buffer back to the water though after mixing. It is a tough thing, lowering pH and keeping it stable long term.

I am getting ready to tear the tank down, in like 3-4 months so I stopped running peat, pulled any dead or dying plants will be testing tomorrow and if need be do another wc

Back
Top Bottom