Ph Monitor-Yes or No

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

current516

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just finished moving. Upgrading to injected CO2 from DIY. Also upping my WPG to 4.3 CF. I've got a 60g 24" tall. My question is about the Milwaukee SMS122 ph monitor.

Can I get by without it for a while, or will I regret it? Do I really even need it?
Are any of you running your systems happily without?

I will not be injecting it at night, and as long as I keep my bubble count consistent I should be fine... right? (me cringing)

Just trying to save a little $.

--- no response so far --

I think I'm going to start without it, and keep a close eye on my ph. Maybe later I'll buy the extra peace of mind.

the pH controller/monitor is really only necessary when you have VERY soft water (a low Kh level), where the pH might drop too quickly and harm sensitive fish (like discus for example).

I'm assuming you're going with the Milwaukee CO2 regulator, so that you've got a solenoid valve to plug into the controller if you get it?

Even if your water is a little soft, you can plug the solenoid valve into a regular lamp timer, and just have it turn on an hour before lights turn on, and off when the lights turn off.

If your water is moderately hard, you an run CO2 24/7. You'll see maybe a .2 change in pH overnight at the most, and this won't bother fish at all. The only downside is you'll use a little more CO2 than necessary, but at $10-$15 a 5/10lb fill, that'll last you months and months...its worth it.

Because yes, a steady bubble rate should give you a steady CO2 level in the tank and a pretty stable pH. Only those with a dKh under 4 should be concerned about pH issues.

I have a KH of 4 which is why I didn't hesitate to get one.. But as mentioned, a lamp timer will work. One thing I've noticed tho is my controller will kick the Co2 on even overnight.. But I doubt it would cause a problem unless of course you are caring for discus or other extremely senstive fish.

Back
Top Bottom