PH Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to lower my PH so that my plants grow. I don't know about those PH up and down products. I also need to soften my water, I do not know how to do this either. Any tips?

Thanks! :troop:

Ever think of adding CO2? (If your not already) This can have the beneficial effect of helping out your plants at the same time it will lower the pH. How much depends on how much CO2 is being added.

What makes you certain you need to lower your pH?

I too would avoid trying chemicals to change any water parameters outside of removing chlorine and heavy metals.

Peat can be used to soften water and lower pH, but it will leach tannins into your water, turning it brown. Carbon will remove the tannins. RO/DI water is another option. You may have to add a buffering solution to it to prevent pH swings though.

I agree with those above. :) Unless you have a super high pH, you shouldn't have any issues with the plants. Are you having trouble growing plants? It might be something other than pH giving you trouble.

How much light do you have and what plants are you trying to grow?

My lights are Coralife T5 High Output 10000 Daylight and the useless blue actinic for now. I should check my high range ph real quick. Doing that now.

PH is at 7.8

I'd like it at neutral.

why would you like it neutral? 7.8 is what all my tanks are and I have NO problem growing plants. Do you want a ph that is stable or a neutral ph that is not?

Back
Top Bottom